Newby wanting shotgun app advice

Evening all,

I’ve been thinking about getting a shotgun certificate. I got talking to my local keeper and he’s asked if I want to help out beating when the season comes around again, also having done clay shooting a few times for work events and really enjoyed myself I wanted to take up the sport. The problem is on the guidelines it’s stating I need a good reason to own the gun including any permissions or clubs I’m a member of. Obviously just wanting to start up I’m not a member anywhere or have any permissions yet, any advice on what I can put down? I was going to go to the local ground to get some instruction sessions and put that on the application but I don’t know if that will be enough to show I’m interested in getting into the sport and not just some nut that wants one for the sake of it or the apocalypse 😂

• 2 weeks later...

As above but if you really want to show you are taking it seriously, join a local clay pigeon club or go for a few lessons which will help you anyway and at the same time give you the chance to try a few guns before you buy. There is little doubt that it is becoming more difficult to get a license even though you have the right to own a shotgun providing you have no criminal record or bad driving history as that has recently been quoted as a reason not to give a license. 

Look online for the 'Shooting Clubs Directory' which will give you all the clubs / shooting grounds around the country so you can pick one or two and visit or phone to start the ball rolling.

Phil

• Thanks 1