Newbie first post - background and FAC question

Hi,

Background on me: I have been ‘hunting’ for 35+ years, mostly driven and walked up birds with a shotgun, both low ground and on the moors and foreshore.  Lucky upbringing and have managed to continue to afford to do it.  Bit of stalking (hinds rather than stags) and used air rifles since I was a teen.  I would consider myself an experienced shot, but more with shotgun than rifle.

Background to question: I need a tool to clean out a rabbit population that has gone unmanaged for a decade, over about 30 acres and a rat infestation in various barns and outbuildings.  While I tried to buy a 2nd hand .22 rifle, police very keen for me to buy .177 HMR.  Stupidly went down this route as thought long distance shots would be satisfying.  They are….but rarely get more than 2 shots / kills before everything disappears.  Now want proper vermin control tool.  Went out last summer with a local pro one evening and was very taken with his .22 FAC air rifle.  Quiet, quick re-loads, very accurate/deadly out to 60/70 yards and loved his night sight.  However, his weapon (think it was an FX) looked full on army combat rifle….and wife has said black bits of kit are banned!  No need for marital as I would prefer wood or composite stock anyway and don’t want something that looks like a sniper rifle.  I also want it to fit into a standard shotgun cabinet without having to take silencer off.

I think I have narrowed it down to either a Weihrauch HW 100KT in a .22, which I reckon is 27ft/lbs….or a Huntsman Revere, which I think comes in either 30lbs or 40lbs.  Both with an ATN X-site and bi-pod and moderator.  So, THE QUESTION…..will I regret not going for the 40lbs Revere, or is the extra 10lbs neither here nor there given the intended mission?  I would love to be able to shoot everything at 20-30 yards…and with the rats that is pretty likely.  But the bunnies are an absolute nuisance and the lie of the land makes successful stalking really tricky.  Part of it is dead flat with zero cover….the other part is a long sandy bank that given where my boundary is, makes it hard to get in much closer than 50-60 yards as with the prevailing wind, they work out something is amiss quickly.

Views on Weihrauch Vs Daystate….or something else I haven’t found most welcome.  And whether a .25 would be a better pellet than the .22 I have just presumed would be best as that is what I kicked off with 35 years ago with a BSA springer.

Thanks in advance for replies…happy to be redirected to other threads if this is a subject covered by others elsewhere.

Hello. Your experience in bird hunting and using various weapons is impressive. I completely understand your rabbit situation( I also hunt small animals
)and think the HW 100KT may be a better option if you are focused on medium range shooting and are looking for a quiet and accurate weapon.

On 05/02/2024 at 14:50, Millshooter said:

Hi,

Background on me: I have been ‘hunting’ for 35+ years, mostly driven and walked up birds with a shotgun, both low ground and on the moors and foreshore.  Lucky upbringing and have managed to continue to afford to do it.  Bit of stalking (hinds rather than stags) and used air rifles since I was a teen.  I would consider myself an experienced shot, but more with shotgun than rifle.

Background to question: I need a tool to clean out a rabbit population that has gone unmanaged for a decade, over about 30 acres and a rat infestation in various barns and outbuildings.  While I tried to buy a 2nd hand .22 rifle, police very keen for me to buy .177 HMR.  Stupidly went down this route as thought long distance shots would be satisfying.  They are….but rarely get more than 2 shots / kills before everything disappears.  Now want proper vermin control tool.  Went out last summer with a local pro one evening and was very taken with his .22 FAC air rifle.  Quiet, quick re-loads, very accurate/deadly out to 60/70 yards and loved his night sight.  However, his weapon (think it was an FX) looked full on army combat rifle….and wife has said black bits of kit are banned!  No need for marital as I would prefer wood or composite stock anyway and don’t want something that looks like a sniper rifle.  I also want it to fit into a standard shotgun cabinet without having to take silencer off.

I think I have narrowed it down to either a Weihrauch HW 100KT in a .22, which I reckon is 27ft/lbs….or a Huntsman Revere, which I think comes in either 30lbs or 40lbs.  Both with an ATN X-site and bi-pod and moderator.  So, THE QUESTION…..will I regret not going for the 40lbs Revere, or is the extra 10lbs neither here nor there given the intended mission?  I would love to be able to shoot everything at 20-30 yards…and with the rats that is pretty likely.  But the bunnies are an absolute nuisance and the lie of the land makes successful stalking really tricky.  Part of it is dead flat with zero cover….the other part is a long sandy bank that given where my boundary is, makes it hard to get in much closer than 50-60 yards as with the prevailing wind, they work out something is amiss quickly.

Views on Weihrauch Vs Daystate….or something else I haven’t found most welcome.  And whether a .25 would be a better pellet than the .22 I have just presumed would be best as that is what I kicked off with 35 years ago with a BSA springer.

Thanks in advance for replies…happy to be redirected to other threads if this is a subject covered by others elsewhere.

No need really for the extra 10 ft. lbs. Keep a 16 grain pellet @ 850 - 900fps. ( stay subsonic). You'll have plenty enough power & decent trajectory to do what you need. The HWs are a good workhorse. Pardon my manners , Welcome.😊

Edited by chouchin66
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20/02/2024 at 01:41, Millshooter said:

Thanks for the advice…..have ordered Weiraucht.  Not just accurate, but extremely reliable.  Not a brilliant shot count, but I will have a tank at home, which is where I will do 95pct of my shooting.

Opting for a Weiraucht for its accuracy and reliability. Despite lower shot count, having a tank at home suits most shooting needs.Insta pro