Gos

Abullx

Just calling them to a lure won't really get them fit, but there are plenty of ways to get a gos fit, such as Jump ups, restrained pursuits, dragging a heavy creance [rope work]. 

You can see some of them on Youtube. But I would say flying them at difficult quarry every day is probably the best and most enjoyable way. 

I would start flying them as soon as they have finished the moult, if possible, on young inexperienced quarry. I usually go for corvids as game is out of season.

As the season rolls on, the quarry gets harder and the gos has to try harder. This will also build confidence in the hawk which is just as important as fitness.

I've been told a lure machine can also be a good way of exercising them, though I've never tried one.

Just my two pence worth lol.

5 hours ago, david901 said:

Just calling them to a lure won't really get them fit, but there are plenty of ways to get a gos fit, such as Jump ups, restrained pursuits, dragging a heavy creance [rope work]. 

You can see some of them on Youtube. But I would say flying them at difficult quarry every day is probably the best and most enjoyable way. 

I would start flying them as soon as they have finished the moult, if possible, on young inexperienced quarry. I usually go for corvids as game is out of season.

As the season rolls on, the quarry gets harder and the gos has to try harder. This will also build confidence in the hawk which is just as important as fitness.

I've been told a lure machine can also be a good way of exercising them, though I've never tried one.

Just my two pence worth lol.

Ok thanks I will get a lure machine for next season I think but was just curious of how many lures I would have to give her when I get a machine 

20 hours ago, Abullx said:

Ok thanks I will get a lure machine for next season I think but was just curious of how many lures I would have to give her when I get a machine 

Like I said, I have never used one before. But some machines [the BullX machine] can travel over 300 yards with the bird chasing hard. 

Personally, I wouldn't pay what they ask for a BullX machine so I tend to do lots of jump ups, gradually building to probably over 100 at a time. Then as she gets fitter, I would add some weight on the leash to give a bit more resistance. The hawk generally would be panting hard at the end of each session.

This is for a PR goshawk. If she was an imprint, then I probably wouldn't do jump ups. Some imprints are Ok, but others can be a bit aggressive with too much tidbitting, especially some females. 

Also when taken up from the moult, I will use a "heavy" creance, so as her retraining progresses, she is also getting a bit fitter. I will also call her into the wind and uphill with the heavy creance attached as she gets into it. This makes them flap their wings constantly rather than just flap, flap, glide.

Remember, everyone will have their own ways that works for them and their hawks. 

28 minutes ago, david901 said:

Like I said, I have never used one before. But some machines [the BullX machine] can travel over 300 yards with the bird chasing hard. 

Personally, I wouldn't pay what they ask for a BullX machine so I tend to do lots of jump ups, gradually building to probably over 100 at a time. Then as she gets fitter, I would add some weight on the leash to give a bit more resistance. The hawk generally would be panting hard at the end of each session.

This is for a PR goshawk. If she was an imprint, then I probably wouldn't do jump ups. Some imprints are Ok, but others can be a bit aggressive with too much tidbitting, especially some females. 

Also when taken up from the moult, I will use a "heavy" creance, so as her retraining progresses, she is also getting a bit fitter. I will also call her into the wind and uphill with the heavy creance attached as she gets into it. This makes them flap their wings constantly rather than just flap, flap, glide.

Remember, everyone will have their own ways that works for them and their hawks. 

Ok thanks I will take what you said on board, appreciate the help 

It's good to ask questions mate.

But I would suggest if you're going to get a Goshawk, to maybe get someone who has experience with them to give you some practical help and advice. It can help smooth things along especially with the initial training/manning etc.

Just a suggestion 👍

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, david901 said:

It's good to ask questions mate.

But I would suggest if you're going to get a Goshawk, to maybe get someone who has experience with them to give you some practical help and advice. It can help smooth things along especially with the initial training/manning etc.

Just a suggestion 👍

Ok tbh I’ve got a pr female here I’ve had this season but my only problem was getting her fit I would say she’s not committed enough in game so I’ve dropped her a little lower, manning wise she’s as steady as a hh with me ( I know it’s basically end of season but I’ll take this onboard for next ) 

Edited by Abullx

I'm not being awkward mate, but how do you know she's not too low in condition?

It may well be she's too high, but not necessarily. How is her keel? Sharp? Full of flesh? If she's too low, she won't have the energy to catch game.

Fitness is not the only thing, Confidence plays a big, if not bigger part in how successful she will be

Is she a secondhand hawk? Has she flown and caught game before? What game are you flying her at? 

1 minute ago, david901 said:

I'm not being awkward mate, but how do you know she's not too low in condition?

It may well be she's too high, but not necessarily. How is her keel? Sharp? Full of flesh? If she's too low, she won't have the energy to catch game.

Fitness is not the only thing, Confidence plays a big, if not bigger part in how successful she will be

Is she a secondhand hawk? Has she flown and caught game before? What game are you flying her at? 

She’s 5 years old and bloke has had pheasant, duck and rabbit with her and her keel is will is sharp today but couldn’t get out to try her and that weight and flew her at a hare and pheasant on Fri and gave up 20-30 meters in 

flew her at a hare and pheasant on Fri and gave up 20-30 meters in 

She may not want to do Hares mate. Not all do, but If she has caught pheasant before, it is strange she has pulled off after such a short distance. Her keel shouldn't be that sharp mate. She needs muscle and strength. They're not daft. She will know if she has got a chance of catching something.

That's why if you had someone with experience that could give you hands on advice that would be good. 

She "may" be too heavy mate. No one can give advice about that over the internet. 

Good luck with her.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, david901 said:

flew her at a hare and pheasant on Fri and gave up 20-30 meters in 

She may not want to do Hares mate. Not all do, but If she has caught pheasant before, it is strange she has pulled off after such a short distance. Her keel shouldn't be that sharp mate. She needs muscle and strength. They're not daft. She will know if she has got a chance of catching something.

That's why if you had someone with experience that could give you hands on advice that would be good. 

She "may" be too heavy mate. No one can give advice about that over the internet. 

Good luck with her.

Ok it’s just that I had her at a higher weight 2 weeks ago and took me 2hrs to get her back, I know a couple falconers near me but never flown goshawks 

I had her at a higher weight 2 weeks ago and took me 2hrs to get her back

Haha haha 😂 We've all been there pal. As I said, she may well be too high in condition, but no one can tell over the internet.

Let me know how you get on with her  Cheers bud.

The thing is with accipiter's they need entering correctly and flow if possible daily, This will build the birds confidence and get them fit, It`s not like a HH that wants to be with you.  Understanding condition and weight is the key, 

12 minutes ago, paulus said:

The thing is with accipiter's they need entering correctly and flow if possible daily, This will build the birds confidence and get them fit, It`s not like a HH that wants to be with you.  Understanding condition and weight is the key, 

Yh when I got the bird I could get out 4/5 times a week but now it’s harder to, and I wouldn’t know what’s required for a gos until I had one tbh as i can read as much as I want but will learn better having one personally 

19 minutes ago, david901 said:

I had her at a higher weight 2 weeks ago and took me 2hrs to get her back

Haha haha 😂 We've all been there pal. As I said, she may well be too high in condition, but no one can tell over the internet.

Let me know how you get on with her  Cheers bud.

Yh I know it’s hard without seeing the bird in person, and will do mate I appreciate the help 

• Like 1