Thumb Sticks

Coney

Does anybody out there use a thumb stick when out shooting as I am looking for some information on the pros and cons of using one of these, if a positive reply I am thinking of making one so would like some recommendations on materials, type of wood to use and what length to make it so can anyone please help?

Coney.

Does anybody out there use a thumb stick when out shooting as I am looking for some information on the pros and cons of using one of these, if a positive reply I am thinking of making one so would like some recommendations on materials, type of wood to use and what length to make it so can anyone please help?

Coney.

A very useful tool, especially when lamping. Height depends on your height, whatever is comfortable. We use one (when lamping one of us shoots and the other lamps and works the dog) made of hazel topped off with a metal "U" cushioned with a bit of pipe lagging. its also useful to fit a foot spike and stopper to stop it sinking into the mud.

You can also use two longer sticks tied 6" from the top with innertube rubber as a full height bipod.

The down side of both these things is that you have to carry them! No fun trying to carry gun, lamp, battery pack, rabbits, shooting stick, dog lead etc up a steep hill in silence though ankle deep mud! By the time you get a shot your so knackered you cant hold the gun steady .... such is life :icon_redface:

Give it a try and see if it works for you, good hunting!

Coney.

A very useful tool, especially when lamping. Height depends on your height, whatever is comfortable. We use one (when lamping one of us shoots and the other lamps and works the dog) made of hazel topped off with a metal "U" cushioned with a bit of pipe lagging. its also useful to fit a foot spike and stopper to stop it sinking into the mud.

You can also use two longer sticks tied 6" from the top with innertube rubber as a full height bipod.

The down side of both these things is that you have to carry them! No fun trying to carry gun, lamp, battery pack, rabbits, shooting stick, dog lead etc up a steep hill in silence though ankle deep mud! By the time you get a shot your so knackered you cant hold the gun steady .... such is life :icon_redface:

Give it a try and see if it works for you, good hunting!

Cheers Tyla some useful info there.