If it was easy it wouldn’t be fun

Tonight’s outing started with FOXHUNTER arriving at mine for 6pm and we were off to my mates farm, against my better judgment I took the .223 with the alpex NV on the top, I was planning to take the .243 with the lamp as it worked a treat last time we were out, and having a few runners lately with the .223 I’ve lost a bit of confidence in it, anyway we got set up overlooking two fields, it wasn’t long before FH spotted one a long way off on another farm, expecting it to come straight up the field we waited, all of a sudden it was too our right approaching the caller, I turned towards it but it was that close I couldn’t see it through the NV, FH watching it through his thermal could see it slowly creeping into the caller before almost laying down, then it got wind of us and took off down the field ( dam you night vision, I knew I should of brought the .243 with the lamp ) it was a couple of minutes later and we spotted it again towards the bottom of the field sat next to a tree, now I could see it clear a day this time but it was a long way off. I thought sod it and had a stab at it, a clean miss, bugger. Not long after that another appeared a long way off, this one showed no interest at all in the caller and stayed on next doors before disappearing in the direction of the wood, so we decided that we would head that way, call in the field along the wood we seen nothing but roe and hares so it was time to head back towards where we were originally, as we headed across the field FH spotted some fox shaped heat in the vicinity of where we had seen the other two, making our way across the open field we kept getting glimpses of the fox heading away from us, once we reached the top of the bank, I set the rifle on the sticks and FH started to lip squeak the fox didn’t seem to show any interest and was heading away up a hedge when all of a sudden it just switched on and turned and headed towards us, stopping just long enough for me to shoot through the trees a bib shot dropping it on the spot, or so I thought, it then jumped up, made a few yards before dropping once again, we had to back track quite a way to get across the beck to collect it, once we got there we noticed it was opened right up, absolutely no idea how it got back up, anyway that particular fox was an excellent hunt and what was looking like a disaster of an evening turned out to be not too bad at all

IMG_9018.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

That 1st fox came in like a rocket expecting some romance , even laid down in front of the caller in anticipation 🤣

That thermal hunt at the end of the night was great ending in a successful outcome 👍 let's hope it continues 😁

We’re on a roll lately, we’ll have to try the fallow up at the shoot 

• Like 1

Update 

I went back tonight on the lookout for the fox that showed no interest in the caller last time me and FH were there, anyway I set up in the same place, after about 20 minutes I spotted a fox in the direction where we had seen the one, this time it came straight across the field towards a vixen in heat call, I stopped it with a whistle at about 100 and dropped it on the spot with the .243 it wasn’t bothered by the lamp, a good size old dog with very few teeth in its head, heading back to the motor I spotted another near the farm, but it crossed the road and I couldn’t see where it went through the thermal due to the fine rain, so I called it a night and headed home to dry both myself and the rifle out

IMG_9065.jpeg

• Like 1