are under lever rifles any good ?.

so about 2013 i got me a pre remlin .357m marlin.about 4 years later the carrier broke and i could not get a spare anywhere.eventually i guy down south made some parts and it was fixed.2 years later my .44m pre remlin marlin broke.not impressed with marlin as that is 100% failure.so in 2018/2019 i bought a brand new henry big boy steel in .357m and that has now broken aswell.so all three have let me down.all guns cleaned and not abused and i use reloads that are towards the starting loads for competition shooting.are chiappa,winchester,rossi worth trying are all under levers crap ?.

• Like 1

I’ve always had a soft spot for an 1895 Winchester. I’ve never been lucky enough to find one on the local racks. I’m a Marlin diehard, but a lever gun in 30-06 is just too cool.

Ditto for the ‘97 Winny 12ga. That huge Winchester logo on the receiver is just the schnitz.

• 2 weeks later...

Russia bought Winchester 1895s as an emergency for ww1 they gave most of them to troups they didn`t trust as well, to the Finns and Estonians, many rifles broke down. Leveractions had their time as military weapons in the 1860s-1870s after the centerfire bolt action came in the 1870s no military leveraction were sold if it wasn`t an emergency.

I purchased a Rossi 24in stainless octagonal barrel 38/357 underlever in 1998 still in excellent condition and never had any problem with it.
only minor setback is it's a model 1894 with top eject so mounting a scope is somewhat of a problem, but I shoot it with an aperture sight.
It`s my 25m /50m rifle and it is very accurate.

On 01/12/2023 at 19:21, elf847 said:

I purchased a Rossi 24in stainless octagonal barrel 38/357 underlever in 1998 still in excellent condition and never had any problem with it.
only minor setback is it's a model 1894 with top eject so mounting a scope is somewhat of a problem, but I shoot it with an aperture sight.
It`s my 25m /50m rifle and it is very accurate.

how many rounds do you shoot in a year ?.have heard that the rossi is built to withstand greater chamber pressures.

• 5 weeks later...

Are the breakages the same part.  They can't all be faulty,  The design has been around since the 1800s so the most likely fault is you.  you're the weakest link. the common denominator.

marlins were the carrier on the 44m and the .357m.but that was my fault as it is a known part to fail🙄.the henry has been the rear part of the firing pin and now the front part has broken.again this is a known fault.the shop should have changed both parts but did not.but again all my fault for buying the gun in the first place.just for laughs i had a timney trigger put in my .223 rem and that broke but that must have been my fault aswell i suppose.the firing pin broke on that rifle aswell but again that was my fault.bit like my hw98 that broke from new within 300 shots my fault.had a tune done on the same gun and that fecked up but that was my fault.or i suppose it was my fault that again from brand new that my fx was faulty straight from the shop.suppose my a300 broke because i had not even fired it but still my fault.trying to think of all the other air rifles pistols and shotguns that have broke over the years but i allready know the answer is it is my fault.cheers.

• 3 months later...

I've the rossi puma in 44 magnum, with the octagonal barrel. 

Touch wood it's never skipped a beat, it my favourite rifle by far and have put a fair few hundred rounds through it. 

Good luck chap