You don’t get too many days as good as this

Today’s day out started with FOXHUNTER turning up at my house just before 12:30 this afternoon, the plan was to go to my mates dads farm to stalk roe, being a little early in the day I decided to go to my mates  first for a look for a doe, we didn’t see anything and couldn’t really get to where we needed to be due to the wind direction, so it was back to the van and off to his dads. On arrival we headed to the bottom of the farm towards the river, again the wind wasn’t in our favour but we headed along the edge of the wood, I’d just said to FH, “ if there’s any deer here they will be around this corner “ sure enough, two steps forward and there stud a doe, winding us in an instant and off up into the small wood. So given the wind direction we we decided to do a big loop around to bring us the right side of the wind, walking the the sodden ground I spotted something in the mud, it turned out to be a tenner, the day was getting better. As we approached the wood I spotted another deer but in an instant it had seen us and bounded off into the wood, once we got to the corner of the two fields we spent some time looking through the woods, I spotted what I thought was a deer through the thermal that once FH had looked through his bino’s turned out to be two hares sat together, he looked a little further on and glassed a deer sat up enjoying a warm Sunday afternoon. He was up on the sticks but there was no clear shot, moving a few yards along the top of the wood gave a clear shot which FH took full advantage of, threading the round through the trees for a perfect neck shot, now for the extraction and the realisation we are getting too old for this sh*t, dragging the beast up the embankment before heading back along the wood towards the farm, as we got closer to the end of the wood we spotted another deer, my turn now, but we just couldn’t get on it, so we left the shot deer in the field and backtracked down the embankment through the wood and onto the river. Looking all the time with the thermal it was no where to be seen, so it was back to collect the shot deer and back to the farm, taking turns with the drag. Once back at the yard it was time for a cup of tea and a piece of my homemade lemon cake. Now it was time for a fox call, we decided the best approach to this was to climb on top of the pile of round bails not far from the yard, giving the best all round view of the land, it was me on the rifle and FH in charge of spotting and the caller, it was little more than 5 minutes before the first one came into view, working it’s way along a hedge before slipping through and out of sight for a short time, now I have to admit I struggled to get on it and as it headed away it climbed on top of a pile of soil stopping just long enough for me to get on it and take the shot, down it went on the spot approximately 120 yards, after watching the fireworks and Elon Musk’s satellites go overhead from our vantage point we both spotted something else through our thermals a long way off, easily 500+ yards away and were convinced it was a fox, FH working his magic on the caller it wasn’t long before it became apparent it was definitely a fox and it was heading to the caller, I moved position to on the very top bails as we both watched it come from the wood and follow the hedge line. A few minutes later it was along the same hedge a the first fox, my plan was to let it get to the track the bails we were on were next to but as the fox stopped I thought “ this fella is going to go through the hedge “ so decided to take the shot, another down, approximately 140 yards, that was us for the night, I was absolutely over the moon with how the day went, with work and looking after the shoot days like these are few and far between for me nowadays and was a much needed shooting adventure 

IMG_8768.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 7