A funny situation

A couple of weeks ago following a 'wanted' asvert in the sales section of another forum, someone was wanting an HW35, told him of mine and he bought it.  Last week I decided to sell my P35 / WTC scope as they got very very little use and within a few hours it was sold, packed then posted the next day. Now I do have a BSA Mercury springer with a tinbum kit in and it does shoot quite well, in one of my trees in the garden I have a pellet tin hanging so when the starlings come calling, scaring off all the other birds, I shoot the can which scares them off but the other birds seem to know it is to get rid of starlings and not them as they are back on the feeder in a minute or so.

Today was one of those days when they came scaring off the other birds so I picked up the gun, shot the can and off they went. Now here is the rub, the pellet tin is a .22 so around 3'' in diameter but how would I go freehand on something smaller. I popped on the wall a used 12 gauge cartridge leyed on it's side so I guess about 20mm in dia............. gun loaded and I took the freehand shot, missed so I thought well I am not a springer shooter so sit down and rest the rifle in my hand with my elbow on the patio table, steadied myself and squeezed the trigger...........missed, in fact I missed the next 9 attempts............fcuking springers, why did I sell the P35 ( well there were reasons) but now I find I have no sub 12 pcp and I begin to think that I really want one, after all I have always been shit with a springer so I guess I better put some practice in to try and get the better of these twangy bloody guns.

I am on holiday very soon with lots of clay shooting on the list and I have just had two of my sea rods rebuilt, oh yes a set of new tyres are needed..............perhaps a catapult will fit in the budget.  I love being retired but miss the salary.

Phil

no good just blatting out pellets unless you can see where they are going, stick a sheet of cardboard out at the same range and see whats happening, if the group looks like it`s from a shot gun you might need a change of ammo, or you really are shit with a springer!😁

• Haha 1

Cheeky pair of barstewards, I have never jelled with those fcuking twangy guns.  What a wonderful idea Neil you are clever, a piece of card to see the groups and try different pellets, well who would have thought of that ....................... 🙄 and yes I am a shit shot with a springer unless in a full benchrest position but I really don't like them.   The only springer I really got on with was my TX 200hc, superb gun but too heavy to walk round with.   Give me a pcp any day of the week, I have taken hundreds of rats and rabbits freehand with my FX Wildcat / Impact fac.

I said 20mm Mitch not 225mm sarky bugger 😁🤣🙄

• Haha 1