Nice roe buck

Out last  night with the 243 .After a cull buck for the meat tbh .

Tried a patch of clover mix as I’d not been there all season .Sure enough there was a buck ,doe and kid out feeding about 200 yards to my left .

Got tucked into the hedge and tried a call .No response from either the doe or buck but the kid came running to within 4 m .Strange behaviour tbh as the doe never came with it .

It ran back as quick as it came and all three promptly sat down .

That was my Q to stalk in and I made up 120 yards to again get tucked into the hedge .All 3 stills at down .Time was getting on so I set the rifle up on viper flex and did a soft call .All 3 up in an instant .Shot  the buck to which there no reaction at all .

The other 2 moved off and the buck followed .At the far hedge they all stopped and I shot the buck again to which he fell instantly .

Turning him over revealed two exits ,two entries exactly where they should be so what occurred at the first shot is a mystery .

IMG_0683.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

• Like 2

Well done mate , glad you're back . Will have some hunting posts now.

As to the shot reaction I have seen it a couple of times .Once shot a roe in Scotland with .22/250 , no reaction to the shot and it ran up hill and stopped when I shot it a second time , both shots perfect. 

Another time I shot a big buck with the .243 and it just stood there with blood squirting out of the exit , so shot it a second time to end it quick , again both shots good.

If you shoot enough strange things happen , sometimes they dont know they are dead.

• Like 1
On 25/07/2023 at 10:51, FOXHUNTER said:

How do you find the binoculars harness mate ?

Best I’ve tried mate especially as I use the thermal stalking as well .Gets a bit much everything swinging around your neck .