Pick of Litter

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the main things you look for in a pup, size, bone, head, boldness, colour, coat, type of temprement etc.

How do you pick yours?

My new lab pup picked me :blink: But I didn't have the pick of the litter, he was the last of four, and I purely went on temperament. He bounded straight up, very confident and happy, and I was sold. He didn;t have quite the head I would normally choose, but the temperament sold it hand over fist. There was a nice looking bitch that skulked in the corner, and shat herself when the door opened..... not a great first impression for a gun dog!

This is him now at nearly 4 months

stanley.jpg

look at things like its paws its energy and alertness as a pup if you whistle or have a squeaky toy see which ones are alert and which ones are stupid :blink: ive got pick of the litter soon and i will be able to watch them all the way through so i will know which one is the most alert and i will autimatically pick a favrote

I like to watch them all interact for a while. I usually go for the middle of the road: not the sulky one, not the over boisterous one. I like them to show an interest in me and not be skittish, but I also don't like them to be all over the show and manic.

Looks comes second to all that, but I really do like a dog with obvious potential for lots of leg.

if their bred right you should be able to just grab anyone and have a good one how good is a different mater that you cant tell as a pup, if i cant just grab one I would leave them there.
Quite right Mush, but if you had pick of litter you must have some thing that you will look for. I know its a bit of a lottery but you need to increase your chances.
that pup looks ready for action :yes:

He's incredibly bright, but as for ready for action, he's got alot of physical maturing to do before that!

sorry mate I only ment "looks" . I should really sort out my wording :doh:

Lovely pup though.

Edited by leegreen