First buck for me

Had an invite ,well to tell the truth I sorted of invited myself to be honest ??.

Mate up near Oxford has a cracking piece of ground but he does need the odd  push to get out on it .We we’re stalking by 1730 and the weather looked a bit overcast .We we’re after a late season fallow buck and the usual plan here is for me to get on the point of a hedge facing a wood whist mate goes round the back and walks it through .Very strict code as to shooting .I won’t shoot unless there’s the grass bank behind and he won’t shoot to his right coming through the wood .

Im in position and a muntie wanders across in front of me ,a young doe but I let her pass .The thermal revealed nothing in the wood until mates rifle is heard down the bottom end .Hes using his 25-06 so fair bang to it .A roe doe breaks cover and trots towards me and I know he’s bagged the buck .No fallow appear but we did find them later .A young first year buck with tatty coat as per the season .Suspended gralloch and we are off for another .

Over the hill towards the wood and there’s a herd of fallow ,all does numbering about 30 with a few in the hedge to the left .

IMG_0236.jpeg.4795b9bd7dde62fab9f0dab0d1cc48c1.jpeg

?hash=c4181f6e599390b2eb8a777c4d8da519
Onwards to the wood and beyond ,after guiding this lot to the left ,where I spotted a lone roe buck marking territory and in the process of starting to remove velvet .A very poor head for the area  so a stalk was planned along a corn field ,over a stream and down a hedge back .Perfect until a cook pheasant then a muntie doe decided to kick off to our right in a thicket .Roe was head up for ages until it resumed its thrashing .

Got to within 104 metres ,on sticks and the buck promptly sits down  ?tired from his exertion .

Closed the gap to with 60 metres and off sticks again head shot him tdc .

Fair weight but never going to make a decent head in these parts so good cull .

IMG_0240.jpeg.39d347979f434f30f0a821f9f4da219d.jpegIMG_0243.jpeg.e1ae92d9389416e1062cee8f5375fcf0.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...