Character

terryd

I was packing away the ferreting gear today with great reluctance for the season. Pulled out an old bag of nets I don't use. Think I bought them off ebay years ago no idea why as I like to make my own. Found this net no ring one end a wooden slider the other and made with treble thread. Didn't have heart to throw it. Bet it could tell a tale. Might try rejuvenate it

Thinking about it bet someone chopped end off stop net lol

20230412_094944.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 4

Thats how i was taught by my taid (grandad) to make purse nets nearly 50 yrs ago, with a single wooden slider one end (looks like yours snapped in the middle) and just a knot the other end. Reason he gave for no rings was that rings cost money! No idea why triple stranded though.... I bolted plenty of rabbits into purse nets like that and never felt they were worse than a net with rings.

8 hours ago, gazjon5 said:

Thats how i was taught by my taid (grandad) to make purse nets nearly 50 yrs ago, with a single wooden slider one end (looks like yours snapped in the middle) and just a knot the other end. Reason he gave for no rings was that rings cost money! No idea why triple stranded though.... I bolted plenty of rabbits into purse nets like that and never felt they were worse than a net with rings.

Yea I don't see nothing wrong with it shame the slider has snapped it could come into action next season. Might make one and pop on.

• Like 1

Got a few funny nets i put away one small one i was told was for bolt hole , christ knows why the rabbits bolting are just the same size , some like yours and some made with a old wooden ruler they just made them with what was too hand years ago 

• Like 3