Deer triple .

I’ve been getting a few calls off landowners to thin the roe out by at least 50% as numbers have built up silly .Part my fault ,part the fact there’s nowhere local to take roe in numbers .The odd pub ,the odd private sale but nothing to drive me to cull any numbers .

One of the pubs I sell to rang wanting 3 roe .Rang a landowner and arrived there at just after 9 am .No need to get up early here as they ain’t going anywhere .Saw the landowner in her yard and had a natter .She said there were probably a few by the quarry a couple of fields away .Got the gear together and headed into the wind .

I think they were coming out to feed as I got in view of a gate to my left ,just in time to see 3 white arses bounding away across the sown corn field .

Never mind there will be more .Along the next hedgerow I caught the flick of an ear and bins revealed two does sat down ,doe and follower .These would make a good start .Managed to get rifle on sticks and ease out into the field on quad sticks .

The young doe clocked the movement  and got to her feet .Shot her broadside at about 90yards .The old doe ran out into the field unaware of me and I took her with another chest shot .Perfect start .

7DAC4050-98B4-48E2-9707-77DFE09C58D6.jpeg.158fe82830a597c3634069deb5ed710f.jpeg

There’s a small wood nearby that belongs to the chicken farmer I shoot for .No need to ring here as I’m always welcome but I text him anyway .Crack on was the reply .Using the thermal I stalked down through this wood and caught a signature under a holly bush .Needed to get the far side of an oak tree to see better but in doing so I bumped a hare almost at my feet .It tore off straight to the holly bush and probably got the doe killed as she jumped to her feet and stood out in open .Another chest shot and number 3 in the bag .

D3A92E81-6AA3-4201-96F9-FC93447F3ABB.jpeg.966cd65c21ee1f392a4165c2199683ae.jpeg

Skinned all 3 here and bagged them ready for delivery .Could do with more of the same tbh .

• Like 5
  • foxdropper changed the title to Deer triple .

I’ve got to get out and do a bit , or I will lose the ground I suspect. I will get the pheasant season out of the way , and then I will have a look around and see what’s about . There is a patch I’ve got that looks like the Serangeti at night in the thermal. It will be challenging stalking as it’s just big fields with short cut hedges and a couple of shallow ditches . 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve got to get out and do a bit , or I will lose the ground I suspect. I will get the pheasant season out of the way , and then I will have a look around and see what’s about . There is a patch I’ve got that looks like the Serangeti at night in the thermal. It will be challenging stalking as it’s just big fields with short cut hedges and a couple of shallow ditches . 

Is that roe mate .