What have I seen?

Nicepix

I was out on mole-patrol today and saw a raptor that I am struggling to id. I wonder if anyone can suggest the species.

I was travelling through the Charente in south-west France when I saw three of four buzzards in a field to my right. One of them looked odd in that it had a pure white under body. Coincidentally I had seen a very pale phase buzzard half an hour previously and this was different in that it had a  dark coloured upper body & wings. I stopped the car and reversed back. Just as I got the binos on it the bird flew away from me showing a pure white wedge shaped tail. It landed and I got a decent view of it through the binos. It had a pure white breast, legs, neck and face. There were small marks on its face. The top of its head was dark and that continued down its back and tail.

I thought gyrfalcon, but on looking at photos online I'm now not sure. Anybody got a better idea? TIA.

• 3 weeks later...