Good thread lads, at just the right time. I've just made 4 raised beds for the missus, 12 ft long, 4 ft wide, 12 inches deep, and I've just filled each one 6 inches with muck, I had to barrow it all in, feckin knackered and now I learn carrots don't like muck :doh: Looks like tomorrow I'll have to empty one end of a bed. Keep the tips coming.

looks like youv got the right size of beds, good on you.

Try alternate rows of carrots and onions, carrot fly is kept away by smell of onions.

Make sure the ground is stone free or youl have some odd shaped carrots.

Spuds in a barrel, use " Mimi" a new type of new potato made for this type of growing. good luck

Guest buster321c

Never been one for gardening , but my 11 yr old daughter has said she would like an allotment and grow some veg !!!!!!!! so im gonna buy some seeds and see what happens , going to start with them in pots first :whistling:

If your gonna grow spuds plant QUEENS, they are early spuds with nice flavour.

And in Late march plant a few Kerr's Pinks, excellant spuds brilliant when boiled. Now spuds are very prone to blight and need to be sprayed with a copper based spray every 10 days depending on weather. Blight can be found on the end of leaves going yellow, where it continues to spread to the stems, then down the stem and into the spud. Causing the plant to go black and the spud to rot.

If there is a tinge of yellow on the leaf, this can't be cured but by spraying it can stop the spread. However some people spray spuds with a hardener spay mid year but i think this affects the quality of the spud. You must watch spuds very carefully if you have any quantity.

• 2 weeks later...

very nice raised beds there mate,to save disapointment follow a four crop rotation.

................................YEAR 1 ..................YEAR2...................YEAR3.............................. YEAR4.

PLOT 1 ......................ALIUMS..................LAGUMES.............BRASSICAS.....

........ROOTS.

PLOT2 .......................LAGUMES.............. BRASSICAS..........ROOTS.....................ALIUMS.

PLOT3 ...................... BRASSICAS ...........ROOTS................. ALIUMS................... LAGUMES.

PLOT4 .......................ROOTS.................... ALIUMS.............LAGUMES....................BRASSICAS.

There is a real purpose for this rotation.it was first pioneered by a chap in the 17th C called 'Turnip' Townsend.

lagumes ie beans and peas take nitrogen from the air and colect it as nodules on their roots,when you clear the plot at the end of the season cut them off and leave the roots in the ground,the following season brassicas go in there,they need nitrogen to ensure a fab and bumper crop,in turn they depleat the ground of its nitrogen which is what the root veg need,too much goodnes in the soil will cause carrots and parsnips to fork and not grow as nice neat roots.next crop in the rotation is the aliums ie the onions,garlic and leeks,these will finish the depleation and so finish the crop rotation ready to start again.

hope this helps ,any questions give i a shout.

very nice raised beds there mate,to save disapointment follow a four crop rotation.

PLOT 1 .................... YEAR 1 ..................YEAR2...................YEAR3.................... YEAR4

PLOT2 .......................LAGUMES.............. BRASSICAS..........ROOTS.....................ALIUMS

PLOT3 ...................... BRASSICAS ...........ROOTS................. ALIUMS................... LAGUMES

PLOT4 .......................ROOTS.................... ALIUMS.............LAGUMES....................BRASSICAS

There is a real purpose for this rotation.it was first pioneered by a chap in the 17th C called 'Turnip' Townsend.

lagumes ie beans and peas take nitrogen from the air and colect it as nodules on their roots,when you clear the plot at the end of the season cut them off and leave the roots in the ground,the following season brassicas go in there,they need nitrogen to ensure a fab and bumper crop,in turn they depleat the ground of its nitrogen which is what the root veg need,too much goodnes in the soil will cause carrots and parsnips to fork and not grow as nice neat roots.next crop in the rotation is the aliums ie the onions,garlic and leeks,these will finish the depleation and so finish the crop rotation ready to start again.

hope this helps ,any questions give i a shout.

I take it it's potatoes in the spare plot then?

PROPER JOB - As the name implies! what a great job you did on those beds! really want to get something similar sorted but costs of wood are a bit prohibative at present. Keeping my eyes out for some to scrounge! Broad beans are now looking ok as is the garlic in my small bit of ground at the back of a flower bed! Tomatoes are up just waiting for the greenhouse to be straightend out after winds, mounted on sleepers, beds made and glass put in!!

Wish i didnt keep moving house!