Ive had my veg plot sorted for a while now and would like to start planting :)

Its only a tiny plot measuring just 50 x 82 inches but still its better than nothing.

Can i plant this time of the year ?

If so what ?

I'd like to try maybe spuds, carrots, leeks that sort of stuff

Little Butch

Carrots I reckon are a good idea, taste wonderful dont need to peel or scrape just wash off. earlies are about now to sow depending on where you live - get loads from a 4ft row, just make sure your ground is fine, if not dig a trench and fill it with sand - honest it will grow lovely straight carrots. The dont like too much muck as this can make them fork Sand trench helps

Leeks are for later in the year ready to harvest for winter time generally. but definately well worth doing

Do you like garlic? if so get a row in ideal time to plant now

As you dont have much space I wouldnt personally bother with spuds - but do you have space to stack any car tyres? Not the prettiest of ideas, but I have heard that some people grow them in old tyres collected from any garage, start two deep and as the spuds grow then bank up with soil and add another tyre - have never grown spuds to am open to correction on this therory - believe now is the time to start off though.

beetroot is another nice idea - if you like it

Broad beans can be started now and grown in large plant pots if no space - start in a tray stacked with toilet rolls, then plant seed into each - can be planted toilet roll and all - doesnt disturb the roots that way. Same with runner beens

Definately in a couple of months start off some runner beans grow tall so take up less space.

One interesting piece of info i found out the other day is that the well known seed supliers are mainly owned by foriegn companies - Kings is definately a uk run and owned company as is suffolk herbs ask your garden centre for uk companies they stock Thompson and morgan and suttons although in the uk are both owned by overseas Euro

companies.

Do you ever do car boots?? if so dont worry about having too many seeds in pack, plant them up and flog what is left - more than covers the cost of your seed outlay that way!

Most things can be grown in plant pots if you have patio space - Toms are good like that but if the weather is like last year they wont come to much.

Dont forget lettuce if you like it later in the year (once worst of frost out of the way)

I tend to get most of my seeds now, then read packet and put sowing info on calander for when to plant.

And finally Have fun!! I have a photo somewhere of the first carrots I ever grew - not much bigger than a felt tip pen - but they were great!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Spinnach grows faster than the eye can see. Next to no space required. If ye have any foot print of loose and unused earth, drop some Raddish seeds on it.

I don't remember the times of year now ~ they'll be on the seed packets. Suffolk Herbs are a good, well established company too :yes:

I never had much luck with cabbages myself, Great pity as I like cabbage. I could also just about live on Brussel Sprouts and Broad Beans! Never tried to grow either, for some reason. Had a friend who did though and she wasn't claiming green fingers either.

Of course; Don't forget ye Compost Bin. Then don't forget to sit it on 1/2" weld mesh, else ye'll be growing f*ckin rats in no time! :icon_eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Try a black plastic 3ft high bin for spuds if youre stuck for room. Drill a couple of drainage holes near the bottom and stick in few fist sized stones inside in the bottom. Stick 8 inches roughly of compost in and plant about 6 chitted spuds evenly into it. let the green shoots come up and once theyre up a bit cover all but the tip of them with more compost, keep doing this till your at the top of the bin. Then sit back and wait til theyre ready to harvest, youll have loads for very little space, time, cost and effort. Its a good project to do with your kids too. Use local spuds from a green grocer or garden centre, supermarket ones are treated some way and never do as well.

'Grow your own' magazine is worth a look, loads of advice and ideas.

Hope this helps, good luck anyway.

TT.

All I do with my spud's is get the cheapo growbags cut them in half turn inside out and use them to grow your spuds in.

2 pots and your compost for £1. they are easier to move around than a dustbin aswell if you need to move them.

Rich. :D

Edited by peashooter
Ive had my veg plot sorted for a while now and would like to start planting :)

Its only a tiny plot measuring just 50 x 82 inches but still its better than nothing.

Can i plant this time of the year ?

If so what ?

I'd like to try maybe spuds, carrots, leeks that sort of stuff

Little Butch

I'd leave the planting out till late March early April, though you could sow onions or leeks on your widowsill or some tomato seeds. Plant them out later in the year.

Good thread lads, at just the right time. I've just made 4 raised beds for the missus, 12 ft long, 4 ft wide, 12 inches deep, and I've just filled each one 6 inches with muck, I had to barrow it all in, feckin knackered and now I learn carrots don't like muck :doh: Looks like tomorrow I'll have to empty one end of a bed. Keep the tips coming.

Good thread lads, at just the right time. I've just made 4 raised beds for the missus, 12 ft long, 4 ft wide, 12 inches deep, and I've just filled each one 6 inches with muck, I had to barrow it all in, feckin knackered and now I learn carrots don't like muck :doh: Looks like tomorrow I'll have to empty one end of a bed. Keep the tips coming.

just put it at the end where the beans are going they love it !