Hare Gate Net

markieboi

hi guys i have seen on some post these being held by stones does anyone have pics of how there used or vidios,

cheers mark

You can use small stones to hold the net on the gate rails..........but not the reccomended method. Much simpler and quicker is to hold the net up on a couple of hazel wands.

Rolfe.

Just run it like a mini long net. simple.

BELIVE ME ,

THERES NOTHING SIMPLE ABOUT GATENETTING .......... WHEN DONE PROPERLY ... ITS AN ART !

GLEN WATERS DVD ON GATE NETTING HAS BEEN THE ONLY INFORMATION WORTH HEEDING ... EVER .... IMO

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

hi guys i have seen on some post these being held by stones does anyone have pics of how there used or vidios,

cheers mark

Hi mate, you're talking way back. original gate nets were square mesh, usually 3 1/4" knot to knot. Perhaps a couple of feet wider than the gate and five or six feet high. The net was laid on the ground on the field side for a couple of feet and held on the gate with a couple of stones. This was in the days of small farm gates made out of timber, so the stones idea was fine. These nets were just a rectangle of net nothing fancy. Most gates today are tubular galvanised steel not good for balancing stones, so far better nowadays to make a short longnet, you can go to 3 1/4" knot to knot or 6 1/2" full mesh. I assure you this is a good size, but make the net 16 mesh wide and double up the net, ie 20 yards on ten yards of running line. My net is 15 yards long and is very effective. You can use two pegs 30" long instead of the 25" rabbit longnet pegs. It pays to have someone near the net in hiding as you push the hares in, as they 'll scream like a banshee once caught. You need it made of strong twine, 4 or 5 ply hemp or spun nylon. I've had a good few in mine, so they're well worth a go, I have an old style one too which I sometimes stick in my pocket, easy to hide as you need no pegs.. Good luck. :thumbs:

Edited by ianrob
  • 2 weeks later...