Telford-shrewsbury pest control?

Hi, I just got into the sport recently and the facebook community is very welcoming when it comes to teaching me how to take care of my rifle or shoot it and what not, but when it comes to me taking it from shooting paper targets to pests and i ask around what i should do to go shooting actual pests,people turn theyre backs or change the subject

greatly appreciate if maybe this community would maybe have someone with some land or maybe just point me in yhe right direction

thank you all 

denboy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The problem that you have is not unique. Contrary to what some people think there aren't a load of farmers sitting around waiting for pesties to come and offer their services. Permission in many areas is scarce and hard won. So naturally people won't be keen to share what they have. 

You will probably have to find your own. That means putting on some decent clothing, making sure the car is clean and leaving any dogs at home while you go knocking on some doors. Be prepared for a lot of knock backs. Best places to enquire are where there are evidence of road kill around the area, rabbits. But a lot of farmers are tenants and are restricted in who they can use. Others will have sold or rented shooting rights to syndicates. If you can find a shoot that needs beaters that can be a way to get permission.

Good luck.

Just to add; if you know any pig or chicken farms in the area they might need some rats dealing with. But they may well already have somebody doing that.

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The problem that you have is not unique. Contrary to what some people think there aren't a load of farmers sitting around waiting for pesties to come and offer their services. Permission in many areas is scarce and hard won. So naturally people won't be keen to share what they have. 

You will probably have to find your own. That means putting on some decent clothing, making sure the car is clean and leaving any dogs at home while you go knocking on some doors. Be prepared for a lot of knock backs. Best places to enquire are where there are evidence of road kill around the area, rabbits. But a lot of farmers are tenants and are restricted in who they can use. Others will have sold or rented shooting rights to syndicates. If you can find a shoot that needs beaters that can be a way to get permission.

Good luck.

Just to add; if you know any pig or chicken farms in the area they might need some rats dealing with. But they may well already have somebody doing that.

Yeah I tried calling about some time and asked,most told me they already have someone doing it or saying they dont have a pest problem ?‍♂️,I was reading some old threads (2013)and there was this chap Rake Aboot which apparently owns most of the land in telford but i cant seem to find this mans facebook or anything,as he hasnt been active on the forum since 2017 if i remember correctly 

• Haha 2

If it is a .22 air gun you have then you really are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to pest control. A farmer who has problems with pigeons, corvids or foxes will set someone on who can handle those pests. Have you thought about HFT? That could get you out and about with your rifle.

Ive got a lovely relum super tornado from the 1970s which has been restored and tuned 12foot pound to ofc keep everything legal,shoots something like close to 600 fps and pushing 700 or so if i diesel my pellets which is plenty to take vermin-pests out,as ive been told,so powerwise-range wise it is close to a pcp but ofc i have to reload it every shot,i use HFTs at home and paper targets and maybe i shoot the odd rat but thats it really 

• 4 months later...
On 26/11/2022 at 20:04, Denboy.22 said:

Ive got a lovely relum super tornado from the 1970s which has been restored and tuned 12foot pound to ofc keep everything legal,shoots something like close to 600 fps and pushing 700 or so if i diesel my pellets which is plenty to take vermin-pests out,as ive been told,so powerwise-range wise it is close to a pcp but ofc i have to reload it every shot,i use HFTs at home and paper targets and maybe i shoot the odd rat but thats it really 

Air rifles have their uses, and I would never be without one, but they are not the tools for Fox or pigeons, etc.  Just the same, many people start/or only use air rifles, and get on fine.

If you are serious about finding some land keep door knocking, it can be hard work, but generally speaking people find the harder they try the luckier they get!