THE IRISH ASSOCIATION OF WORKING DOGS  SHOW AND RACE DAY, IN CONJUNCTION WITH KILTROUGH  LURCHERS WORKING DOG CLUB SUNDAY15th MAY 22

THE IRISH ASSOCIATION OF WORKING DOGS  SHOW AND RACE DAY, IN CONJUNCTION WITH KILTROUGH  LURCHERS WORKING DOG CLUB SUNDAY15th MAY 22

Ballinabrannagh is a small village in County Carlow, and makes up part of the beautiful rural scenic coastline of the south of Ireland.  This was the venue for the Irish Association of Working Dogs in conjunction with Kiltrough Lurchers  Working Dog Club Show and Race day Sunday 15th May 22. 

The good lord was good to us on the day as the sun shone for most of the day getting a little cooler in the evening. Canine people from North and South of the border with their families, dogs and trailers came out in force to support this great charity Dog Show and Race day. 

As the work in the field is over for this season, there was a very nice friendly crowd at the show. Some old faces and some new ones backed up with an abundance of craic and banter. Just an all round lovely relaxing family day out for all the Canine men and women after the pandemic.

Niall O Cloghan was there with his Terrier Maze along with his two young sons to help. This is a Country Sport on its own and is really taking off at all the dog shows up and down the Country. The craic and the banter this Terrier Maze generated was mighty. It was one of my favourite parts of the show. If you need Niall for your show pm him on his facebook page. You will not be disappointed.

Again the Ferretts did not disappoint both in showing and racing. It amazes me the way the young folk can handle these we animals. I am a coward around them, but these children and adults put me to shame and all professionals at their game. The roars of laughter that echoed around the field when these little creatures were racing would do your heart good, was just brilliant. Well done to all involved.

On my travels around the field I spoke to some great Country Sports people. Along the way I met up with Jim Mulcahey, husband of AnneMarie Mulcahey our brilliant photographer in Country Sports. Jim has a wealth of knowledge, a great conversationist, and also a brilliant photographer.

Jenny O Meara was there with her winning Canine friends. It is always so nice to speak to Jenny, she is such a genuine nice happy person with a beautiful deep southern accent and loves her dogs. As I moved along I bumped into Rochelle Duffy and her beautiful little girl Georgia. The last time I spoke to Rochelle was when she was pregnant with Georgia, which I think was 5 or 6 years ago. It was great to chat about all the water that has run under the bridge since those years and also to meet Miss   Geogia. And just before the showing started Trich Donagh and myself walked up the field spilling out all our personal secrets to each other. This lady is one of the nicest caring people on this planet. Trich, you should have been a councillor, you have a great way with words.

Heading back to base I could hear the dulcet tones of our young lady on the PA System. What can I say about the brilliant job Jade Dunphy did on Sunday. Jade you done a wonderful job keeping everyone on their toes. We would have been lost without you.

Stephanie O Connor and the racing team took everything in their stride and pulled off a great days racing. Well done Stephanie and team

Time passes so quickly, very soon it was Racing and Showing Time.

Ferrett Results

**Ferrett Showing and Racing Results

Cooper Magee with Chelsea

Reserve

Lucy Davis with Ferris

**Ferrett Racing Champion

Sophie Brooks with Rabbit

Here are the Racing Results Curtesy of Dermot Lawless.

Racing Results

**Terrier Maze  Run by Niall O Cloghan

1/ Guy Watts with Trixie

2/ Harriet Holden with Pixie

3/ Guy Watts with Brown Box

Whippets: 

1/ Donna with Molly Mae

Reserve

Anthony with Mouse

Under 21 Lurcher:

1/ Yapper Hayes with Jess

Reserve

Donna with Starlight

Under 24  Rough

1/ Sean with Rose

Reserve

Sam with Sandy

Over 24 Hairy:

1/ Eddie with Duke

Reserve

Adam with Joey

Under 24 Smooth 

1/ Seamus with Speedy

Reserve

John with Lass

Over 24 Smooth:

1/ Jimmy with Jess

Reserve

Michael with Wexford

Bull Cross:

1/ Jimmy with Lady

Reserve

Maurice McDowell with Bear

Showing Results : Curtesy of Jed Donagh

Champion Strong Dog Pup - Ricky Bernard with Otto,Handled by Renee O Keeffe 

Champion Strong Dog 

Stephen Gannon with Archie 

Reserve   

William Lynch with Turbo .

Champion Terrier Pup  - Terry Moore 

Reserve Champion  

Darragh with Pepper. 

Champion Beagle Pup 

Jonathan Dunphy with Pibby.

Champion Whippet Pup 

Joyce Scott with Milo

Reserve Champion 

John Shaw 

Champion Whippet 

Cayce Coyle with Prince

Reserve Daniel with Kenny

Champion Lurcher Pup 

Reece Curran with Soul

Justin Power with Bella.

Overall Champion Pup 

Reece Curran with Soul

Reserve Champion Pup 

Joyce Scott with Milo

Overall Champion and Best in Show

JP OHagan with Tyson 

Reserve Champion 

Stephen Gannon with Archie

Pets

Champion Pet

Johnny with Sully

Reserve

Anthony with RosiE

*Congratulations to all the above winners and well done.

And Finally, on behalf of the Club I would like to thank the Judges on the day for a job well done :

Lurcher Judge  / John Ryan 

Terrier  Judge  /  Ciaran Fullen.

Whippet Judge / Shane Ennis 

Hound Judge   /Derek O' Connor 

Strong Dog Judge / Ryan O' Neill

Hound Judge  / Dennis Murphy

Thank you so much for the beautiful presentatation you made to me. The plaque is just beautiful and was such a surprise, so unexpected and from the bottom of my heart so much appreciated.

And Finally, Finally, all of this would not be possible without the 2 main men at the helm, Jed Donagh and Dermot Lawless and their  brilliant back up team. It was evident on the day that a lot of organisational skills and sleepless nights went into planning this brilliant event.  Your show was a credit to the club and you made every one so welcome. You went over and above the call of duty here with your Trophies, Rosettes, Meal and Raffle Prizes.  

Had a great day at this show and we are already looking forward to more of the same shortly.

Margaret Mc Stay

Edited by appleblossom

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.