6 year old saluki greyhound bitch, managed to skin the pads on her rear feet (for a change) about a month ago. The right has healed up fine, but the left is taking forever and she can only manage a short walk or gallop before going light on that foot and the dog is sensitive to touch on the pad, as if there's a thorn in it. I suspect the outer skin hasn't knitted back together quite right and is causing discomfort. I find skinned pads are normally about healed at three weeks. No obvious busted toes or joint swelling, but I'll get her x-rayed if it doesn't resolve soon.

Any recommendations for products worth trying that might soften and heal the problem area?

I did get some sled dog stuff when she was a youngster and had a few problems with cracking pads. Dog hated the stuff which was fecking expensive and stank of menthol. I gave up trying to use it because the she would freak out at the smell and the cracking sorted itself out in time. Can't see much, but photo attached - foot looks weird because I'm pulling it around to expose the damaged area. Looks as it should otherwise.

foot.jpg.10830dd07224a1fa92b16535b186338c.jpg

Thanks gents ? Found a dab of vaseline to soften along the healing line where new skin meets old seems to help. Guessing the hard old skin digging into the damaged area was causing discomfort and the dog is moving more relaxed and freely now, so hopefully on the mend now. Bitch was unfit post season condition and also got a light-ish case of RMS, which could have ended a lot worse. Don't think she'll ever be the same again but putting weight back on and playing with the others so things are looking up. Bloody lurchers, always an accident waiting to happen!