is it leagle to catch starlings??? if so whats a good way????

Unfortunately, no it's illegal in England. In Scotland, if they are damaging agricultural crops, or are posing a health risk, you can get a licence to shoot them.

Edited by ianrob

Unfortunately, no it's illegal in England. In Scotland, if they are damaging agricultural crops, or are posing a health risk, you can get a licence to shoot them.

Edited by ianrob

As i understand it.....Starlings may be taken by shooting, cage trap or net........under the general licence to prevent agricultural damage...........Unless anyone knows different. :hmm::hmm:

Rolfe.

As i understand it.....Starlings may be taken by shooting, cage trap or net........under the general licence to prevent agricultural damage...........Unless anyone knows different. :hmm::hmm:

Rolfe.

Hi Rolfe 2005 it all changed see the link

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/...rling/legal.asp

I cannot believe that you guys are giving advice on how to kill protected species.

I can just see the anti headline: "Bloodsports enthusiasts boast about killing protected birds".

Are you sure we should be having this discussion?

Rolfe.

Hi Rolfe 2005 it all changed see the link

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/...rling/legal.asp

Cheers for the information mate...........i was unaware of that fact until now........i am aware legislation changes all the time....... hence my cautious reply.....Many thanks.

Rolfe.

I cannot believe that you guys are giving advice on how to kill protected species.

I can just see the anti headline: "Bloodsports enthusiasts boast about killing protected birds".

Matt

Your concern is very valid - but I think the answer is 'yes' we should be having this discussion.

Many people not professionally connected with pest control do not become aware of changes in the law as much as perhaps the legislators imagine. That's where professional pesters like yourself add a lot of value.

The opening question is a good one; 'Is it legal ?' The answer is still 'yes' but in much more controlled circumstances than used to be the case. That has been made very clear early on by rank and file members of the forum. Good news in my view that people are aware of the law.

The discussion of 'how' is still valid for anyone who has obtained the relevant licenses - unless the special license itself specifies methods when it's granted which I admit I don't know.

I would rather someone ask about the legality than just assume.

Matt

Your concern is very valid - but I think the answer is 'yes' we should be having this discussion.

Many people not professionally connected with pest control do not become aware of changes in the law as much as perhaps the legislators imagine. That's where professional pesters like yourself add a lot of value.

The opening question is a good one; 'Is it legal ?' The answer is still 'yes' but in much more controlled circumstances than used to be the case. That has been made very clear early on by rank and file members of the forum. Good news in my view that people are aware of the law.

The discussion of 'how' is still valid for anyone who has obtained the relevant licenses - unless the special license itself specifies methods when it's granted which I admit I don't know.

I would rather someone ask about the legality than just assume.

Hi John,

You are quite right, that we need to discuss the constantly changing legislation........and my post is a prime example of why we should. Although i have never controlled Starlings as such, i was unaware of the change to the general licence until it was just pointed out.

Regards Rolfe.

Fair point John.

I stand corrected.

No apology necessary. :thumbs:

You're just looking out for the site and its members, which is fine.

And Rolfe

You are quite right. That's the advantage of having so many professional pest controllers as members - they have to keep abreast of the rules as they change and help to keep us all up to date.