Mathmatical Problem (%'s)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

RatMan; That wasn't boring at all, mate. In fact it rather intrigues me how some people have lived and do to this day. Over here right now it's all the rage to leave the old cottages and the old ways behind. People have come up on the Celtic Tiger economy and are now all busy showing that by building newer, 'nicer' homes along the roads. Personally, I wouldn't swap this old cottage for the vast, ostentacious place with the huge chandalier which I can see burning clearly from a mile off. No way! Hell no!

What I did swap for this place was a ten year old, semi detatched bungalow in one of the most desirable parts of a nice british city. Laminate floor of the highest quality. Shower. Hell, I even had a ceiling fan! :laugh: Would I go back there? Not in a f*cking body bag! I'll die here and stay here. With my Dogs.

Anyway, Crafty; Ye want to see my loo? Sure. It's actually built on the Pomeranian design. Probably built by much earlier Polish immigrants than we now think of. Poland seems to have some historical link with Eire. We get Polish coal here too. And here's how my " Ditch " was, for the first year of my being here. As Ossie so rightly suggests, it was a matter of just bracing ones back against the back wall there and what came naturally went straight through the hole in the ground and into the ditch which runs beneath it.

Ditch's Ditch

post-3041-1200925910.jpg

Then, after a year of that and knowing I had a guest coming, I got my finger out and civilised the situation as best I could.

Swish Shitter

post-3041-1200926132.jpg

Finally, just to give ye an idea of what I mean when I say I could use some windows around this place. Here's an outside view of my living room window. This is the one I'm sitting inside as I type this. And yes, that Is expanding foam holding it all together. What ye see at the bottom is an old piece of corrugated iron I nailed in here, to stop my Dogs ever touching the window and the whole f*cking lot falling out.

Window On Ditch's World

post-3041-1200926432.jpg

Fact is, I really haven't got a half sound window in the place. But so f*cking what? I have room for my Dogs and have complete isolation. If I can get one of these grants that everyone's telling me everbody gets, it'll make things tidier and more civilised round here. But none of it could make my existance intrinsically better. That's already about as sweet as it could be :)

So are you really in the middle of nowhere? How did you end up living in your cottage then? I take it it is not where you have lived for ever?

Sorry, I am Very nosey! :laugh::whistling:

Edited by gaia
Guest craftycarper

my ex inlaws bought a place in wrangle, linconshire a few years back. It was the only remaining part of a victorian farmhouse, they bought a mobile home on the cheap from a local caravan site which they threw in the garden to live in while they stripped the place down. Had to be underpinned on all corners, windows internal floors, you name it it had to be done. Had a nice bit of land, few apple/plum tree etc and nearest neighbour was a fifteen minute walk down the lane. If i remember because of the age etc they had a few grants for the windows and so on and also lots of visits from the council/surveyors and so on to make sure it all was in keeping with the age of the place. It was a cracking place when finished and there was so many of these places derelict all over the place, whenever you went out for a drive you would pass dozens of them such a waste. I would have given my right arm to live there, then they divorced, she got the house fittings and business and five years of his police pension, he got another caravan by the way, re-married to philipino bought two houses to renovate and rent out to local nurses etc and guess whats just in the process of happening again :thumbdown: ....and the moral of the story....don't get married...if you do make sure you keep a fair few pigs nearby :whistling::whistling::whistling:

i have been looking about on various sites at property values of late around the linconshire , scotland areas, value wise you can get a cracking place in terms of size, land, outhouses compared to the overpriced ones in my area, the only downfall being the lack of work and low pay rates in these places, but who knows, once the kids are all gone it's something that i might look into myself within the next ten years if not sooner if them lucky six numbers come up as i am now in a stage in my life that i am fed up with everything thats going on around me, corporate companies, commercilism,nanny state and so on i hate em all.....

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Gaia; I ended up living in my cottage because it's out of uk. I have a long time, on line, friend in US who lives much like me and shares my basic ideals. He always seemed so laid back and content and I was furiously green with envy for him. He had space and isolation. I always swore I'd find the same for myself before living in that shit hole destroyed me. I looked at everything from Lincolnshire to Scottish crofts. Even considered a place on a small offshore island. But is was all still uk.

I still very well remember a phone conversation I had one night, with a fellow Pester. I'd hatched a plot to get out. And I was aiming to come to Eire. He too enthused about the idea and swore himself that he'd be right behind me. So we ranted and raved about what was becoming of england. Congratulated ourselves on being Survivors. Vowed to get the f*ck out.

He's still there. He still rants and raves about what's become of england. I'm here because I f*cking well got off my arse and Did Something About It. I'm like that. It's in my blood to be so.

And I bought this place on the strength of three photographs, posted on the internet. One showed the view back up my track. Another showed part of one corner of the cottage and a rotted away metal field gate. The third showed a section of the trees I have on my land here. But the sellers man gave me an honest enough verbal description of the place and with or without that, I was coming anyway. I sold up. Paid for this place and got on the ferry with my Dogs and posessions.

My single and only regret is that I didn't do it years earlier and save myself that few more years of abject misery under the yoke of the british systems.

Way to go DS! :notworthy: So how far away are you from your nearest neighbours? This is something I think we all think about from time to time but we are not brave enough to actually do it. do you have to travel far for work etc?

DITCH so i take it you like eire then?

personally i love were i live the scenery is great the people are mostly great, it's just in the summer the town becomes a haven for the scum that have wrecked the place with their holiday homes, leading to high prices for the rest of us,

but the isolation to do what you want when you want, and can roam mostly were-ever you want is worth staying for........i love it. so fair play ditch for having the balls to move......you'll get there in the end.... :thumbs: