Buddy's Squirrel dog training set up

So about to be helping my buddy set his squirrel do training deal back up and thought y'all might find it interesting.

Don't know if y'all do it over there but here squirrel hunting with dogs is pretty big in some areas. Same with hog hunting with dogs deer running with dogs , coon , rabbit ect. Lots of houndsmen in the south. 

But anyhow my buddy being the crazy person he is figured why do all this crap of killing a squirrel, dragging it around getting the puppies interested ect when a live squirrel in a cage works so much better. Alot like coon dog training. It's super common to start dogs off with pelt for a little then a live racoon in what's called a roll cage . Basically it's a round barrel cage you put a live racoon in and it lets the dogs get used to dealing with live animals and the coon can roll around and not get injured by the dog. It's alot like a hamster in a hamster ball and a cat. After about half an hour though they usually figure they can be hurt by the dog and just go to sleep or something ?

But yeah he basically said let's do something like that but better ! So this man legit made like 200ft of tunnels out of hardware cloth  that a squirrel can easily run through and turn around in. Has it going up trees around bends under bush piles heck he's built Lil houses the squirrels can crawl up in and sleep in along with food and water ! Screenshot_20220208-025311-845.png.7c51027b3fca444259ba572c51370191.png

But yeah apparently the squirrels learn pretty quick to that " hay that dog can't really hurt me " and they end up just not really running so after a week or so you gotta let those go and get some new blood in.

But yeah we're in the process of building more tubes 

FB_IMG_1644310442468_1.jpg.9a9e875b0f13d158688ea20e601d3af3.jpg

And where about to clear out some land and fence it in for training ( gonna basically be like a mini fox pen )along with building some new kennels for dogs we train. So yeah thought some of y'all might get a kick out of this ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/02/2022 at 09:15, Wolfdog91 said:

So about to be helping my buddy set his squirrel do training deal back up and thought y'all might find it interesting.

Don't know if y'all do it over there but here squirrel hunting with dogs is pretty big in some areas. Same with hog hunting with dogs deer running with dogs , coon , rabbit ect. Lots of houndsmen in the south. 

But anyhow my buddy being the crazy person he is figured why do all this crap of killing a squirrel, dragging it around getting the puppies interested ect when a live squirrel in a cage works so much better. Alot like coon dog training. It's super common to start dogs off with pelt for a little then a live racoon in what's called a roll cage . Basically it's a round barrel cage you put a live racoon in and it lets the dogs get used to dealing with live animals and the coon can roll around and not get injured by the dog. It's alot like a hamster in a hamster ball and a cat. After about half an hour though they usually figure they can be hurt by the dog and just go to sleep or something ?

But yeah he basically said let's do something like that but better ! So this man legit made like 200ft of tunnels out of hardware cloth  that a squirrel can easily run through and turn around in. Has it going up trees around bends under bush piles heck he's built Lil houses the squirrels can crawl up in and sleep in along with food and water ! Screenshot_20220208-025311-845.png.7c51027b3fca444259ba572c51370191.png

But yeah apparently the squirrels learn pretty quick to that " hay that dog can't really hurt me " and they end up just not really running so after a week or so you gotta let those go and get some new blood in.

But yeah we're in the process of building more tubes 

FB_IMG_1644310442468_1.jpg.9a9e875b0f13d158688ea20e601d3af3.jpg

And where about to clear out some land and fence it in for training ( gonna basically be like a mini fox pen )along with building some new kennels for dogs we train. So yeah thought some of y'all might get a kick out of this ?

Mint idea that , i love hunting squirrels with a 410 shotgun and a dog but now I just use a air gun and dog and also trap them, a lot of people call them tree rats and don’t bother with them but I think there one the most fun quarry to hunt , always danced a couple days working with them fiest dogs