What the f”ck as she caught now

As a little kid, though we always had a lurcher in the house, i sort of never knew what a lurcher was. Ours were just our house dogs that cought stuff for my dad...

Then i met John, a few years older than me he owned a big, slate grey, deerhound lurcher called Jet, which is still the best looking lurcher i've ever seen.

We met, as lads did back then without the internet or shows, drawn by the dogs we both had at our sides.

We were out and walked together, talking all things lurcher and hunting. Walking not far from where i live now.

My little whippety thing hunting up well either side of us and John's steely eyed Jet, just a few yards in front. I couldn't take my eyes of him.

Whatever John seen in Jets movement i missed but he grabbed my arm for me to stop. In front Jet, looking like a gun trained Pointer, staring into the reed bed that we were walking through. He inched forward and i couldn't take my eyes off him. Then BOOM! A pheasant exploded upwards...

It was about two huge strides and a leap of what looked to me like about 12 feet and Jet took to the air and grabbed that bird from the sky... Oh man, from that day to this, that catch blew me away, it was something i'd never seen before and rearly seen since.

That catch had me hooked, still makes the hairs stand up when i think of it all those years later.

To me, real lurchers are those that can take both fur and feather... 

20181026_074316.jpg