Laser Eye Surgery

Guest Lord B

I'm comcidering having this done (one eye is worse than the other) and was just wondering if anyone on here had had it, and what your thoughts were?

Expensive? How long was recovery? Painfull or not?

one of my friends has had it done think it was £1400...said it was very painful for a day or two but he is very happy now and says he's glad he went through the pain..sorry its not a first hand story but the blokes dead straight and we spoke in length about it... :icon_eek::cry::blink:

I had both mine done about 6/7 years ago and I ended up with as close to 20/20 vision as I could get, I think + or - about .5% in either eye.

I love it ever since, great for shooting. I used to go fowling on the foreshore and my glasses were a right pain in the ass always fogging up.

Highly recommend it, but I ain't an opthalmic surgeon, so make an appointment and see what they say. Some people just aren't suitable for the surgery so no point thinking too far ahead just yet.

Guest ROOSTER

I had it done seven years ago, not to painful more like having a bit of grit in your eye and a it watery ut instant results and well worth the money i paid fifteen hundred and i was very short sighted now i'm near 20/20 i had the lasik where they lift the front of the eye and laser under it and then place the front in place seemingly the est results from this one. the letter after A and in front of C has stopped working thats why their are some letters missing....................gave the keyboard a few thumps and the B is now working but the H is now sticky... a well such is life.

Edited by ROOSTER
I had it done seven years ago, not to painful more like having a bit of grit in your eye and a it watery ut instant results and well worth the money i paid fifteen hundred and i was very short sighted now i'm near 20/20 i had the lasik where they lift the front of the eye and laser under it and then place the front in place seemingly the est results from this one. the letter after A and in front of C has stopped working thats why their are some letters missing....................gave the keyboard a few thumps and the B is now working but the H is now sticky... a well such is life.

ha ha, very annoying the "g" on my hoem comp has packed in also.

im considering getting this done, my mate had it and swears by it, its a right pain lamping at night with glasses covered in rain :wallbash:

I had a friend who had this done, she paid £750 per eye, (although I’m sure costs may vary). A laser spins around the eye, it then detects and repairs abnormalities and i believe it only takes a little time, with very little pain, if any.

Guest ROOSTER

the doc has taken pics of the eye and tested it for pressure and already knows before you lie under the laser how much of the lense he is basicaly shaving off, if your short sighted the front of te eye is to thick and they remove it sometimes its not smooth as in a piece of glass but more like orange skin then all they do is smooth it , before you lie under the laser he sets it to the desired amount and they put some drops in the eye and a little clamp on to stop you blinking the actual time the laser is working is only about 10/15 secs, the amount to be taken off is already worked out in a visit a week or two before you see the laser.

I had LASEK two years ago. Perfect vision now - no more sore contact lens - no more steamed up spectacles etc. Cost £1200 worth every penny for a few days discomfort and anxiety. Tests before hand were very thorough. On the day of the op it took less than 10 minutes from when i climbed onto the couch until i was sitting up saying "I can see! I can see! It's a miracle!". :icon_eek::icon_eek: The actual 'laser' bit took less than 20 seconds on each eye.

Eye sight is very precious and it is natural to be cautious, but for me it was so worth it.

By the way, when you reach the age for needing them, you will probably still need reading glasses.

Guest ROOSTER

BOB, short or long sighted is due to the actual eye itself that why they can alter it by shaping the eye reading glasses are need because the muscle that helps the eye focus goes weak with age.

Thanks guys some much apreciated advise.

I have a second eye test on Friday and am waiting to get a date for a consultation with a laser surgeon...........

I don't have a problem with wearing glasses if neaded occasionaly; my eyesight is ok day to day but my right eye is fading and recently failed an army eye test; only realy notice if I close my left eye, and been told surgery might be the answer.

Anyway, thanks for the info.