To be able to get a firearm license for hunting in Sweden you must have a hunting education, my friend Lars are trying to get an theoretical and practical(shooting) course for the last 1,5 year but last summer it was canceled because of covid. You can take part in hunting together with an experienced hunter and use their rifle/shotgun then you hunt close together.

Last week I did a scouting tour for beaver and found two fresh places a logging/eating place and 5km apart a hud had fresh branches on it, now it has been about 8-10c in northern Sweden so beavers are active. On the logging place a 8" tree (at the base) was cut in to pieces and was taken away.

To night we went hunting after I finished my work. We had nice sunny weather with a bit of wind. We sat at a creek shore (the feeding spot) for about an hour and then we decided to change location. At the other area, the hud with fresh branches we saw a beaver right at the start in the creek between two lakes. We waited for 20 minutes before it showed up again and it cawed up on the ice. Lars shot it with my Bergara 300blk then it had came up so well we didn`t think we would loose it after the shot. Lars first ever game fell right on the spot the varmint bullet hit the neck and it did its job and stayed within the body. I cut a long stick to reach the beaver on the thin ice. It was getting dark as we dragged it to the road ~8.30.  We skinned the beaver together and he also took the skull as a throphy. 

Now I am sitting here with a beer thinking about a great evening.

Happy easter to you all

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_0854.jpg

• Like 1

I was taught by the older generation ;)

Field craft, how to watch and learn etc.

I live in Spain and when I go to the mountains it's no different to being in the UK, it's like reading a book. My mates and Mrs always wonder how I can spot the smallest things, I don't even try tbh.

Although I do like the idea of a hunting education with certs and a closer knotted hunting community like in lots of European and north American countries ;)

I was also taught by following my father and uncles on hunts, helping to pull out mooses from  the forest and skinning them as the old hunter tought the young ones should do their part. I also did the usual fishing, treehouses, making fires, snowmobile driving, camping and hiking.

I also had nature and hunting education in my secondary and high school years in northern Sweden. I took my basic huntining examina as 14y as a voluntarly part of high school. All you need to do to be able to hunt and own huntingrifles and shotguns  in Sweden are to take the examina you dont have to have a hunting areas as you can use a daylease or follow as a guest.

The education are most helpfull for they who dont have a close connection to hunters as young. The education teaches gun saftly which saves lifes.

• Like 1