This year i plan to have a go at growing some potatoes in the garden. Due to lack of open soil, this will have to be done in contatiners. Has anyone any tips? will i have to buy seed potatoes from the garden centre or can i use ones that have already sprouted - the ones that get forgotten about in the cupboard? Or does anyone know of a good source on the internet?

All advice appreciated.

Guest bullterrier

alright mate don't grow any potatoes you have got in the cupboard that have sprouted they can make you ill buy seed potatoes from garden centre or online and also some thing to think about what will you be using the potatoes for [mash roast boiled chips ] this will make a difference to the potatoes you want to grow let me know and ill let you know some good varietys for you .. :thumbs: ..john

main problem with old spuds from the cupboard is that firstly they maywell carry potato diseases such as blight,secondly they may well have expended all their energy making foot long shoots! .as said earlier buy seed potato scats will have loads in anytime soon,rub off all but 5 or 6 shoot buds,and chit them in egg trays on the windowcill for 7- 10 days.

another good way to grow them inpots so to speak ist to use old car tyres,start with 2 deep and as the shoots apear add another and another till theyre 5 high! feed them with pottasium sulfate or potash or if you have it hardwood ash from slow burnt fire.

Anyone ever grown 'Orla' potatoes. Had them with our christmas dinner, mashed, they are the best potatoes i have EVER eaten, very creamy with a gorgeous texture (Asdas are selling them at the mo)

Because of the very high price of them as seed pots, we have bought 2 bags from Asdas, wrapped them in newspaper and will try growing them this year.

They sometimes grow potatoes in containers at work and they always work out really nice :yes:

Moll.

alright mate don't grow any potatoes you have got in the cupboard that have sprouted they can make you ill buy seed potatoes from garden centre or online and also some thing to think about what will you be using the potatoes for [mash roast boiled chips ] this will make a difference to the potatoes you want to grow let me know and ill let you know some good varietys for you .. :thumbs: ..john

Have lived in the country for 58 years ,ny old man used his old spuds , i have ,must have been lucky ,i'm 58, my old man was 87??

also worthy of trying are a waxy salad spud called 'anya' they cost an arm and leg at sainsburys!

as for the tyre method stig start with the seed spud planted 2 inches deep in the 3rd tyre then as you get tops at about 6 inches just add more soil leaving just a small amount of tips protruding,then repeat.

Never got ill by growning spuds from old shot spuds, parents used to let me have the shot ones to grow and 'produce' my own stuff!

Only thing i will say though is its best to grow spuds IMO in sealed tubs/bags, reduces risk of wire worm and the like destroying your crop. One thing to bear in mind though is are you growing spuds just for the fun/ something differant to do or to supply you home with all the spuds you need? I try to work on something I saw on one of HFW programs, try and grow stuff that you either really enjoy and that you can produce enough of to stop you having to buy it or vegies that are too expensive in shop so treat from time to time