1000 rats

....not really. Just the one. But quality is better than quantity isn't it? 

Finished work early today with the intention of digging out my concrete pad. A fellow pest controller was also finishing early so offered to come and do a couple hours helping. Of course with the sun shining and a few hours spare some mischief and adventure had to be found and we quickly decided to go out in search of a rat or two. 

A quick phone call to a local farm presented the perfect opportunity. Rats were digging under the concrete slab of a large sheep building. The farmer and all his staff were going moving some store lambs miles away....so if the pup got over excited and chased a sheep or killed 10 hens at least I could clean up before he arrived back. (he's a good friend of mine, I wouldn't take liberties or risks normally ?). 

Anyway the pup did fantastic, working methodically round each sheep pen without looking at them and never working to far ahead. So the day was already a success as far as I was concerned. Unfortunately though we saw signs we just couldn't find a rat. Next we tried smoking the well worked holes under the concrete base on the outside but nothing seemed to bolt. Now this is something we have found elsewhere, rats won't bolt from these good workings under the concrete pad of the building. My mate actually saw 2 rats pass the front of the holes but not bolt....interesting in that this time confirmed they were there just not bolting like normal rat holes. 

After this we worked an earth bank along the side of the building, smoking an odd hole but nothing doing. As we got to the end of the building the old dog disappeared...i thought she had run off but eventually it seemed she was actually under some rushes not wanting to leave a certain spot. I had a look but the spot didn't look ratty so I tried to call her away and carry on. Every time I called the terriers they went back. So I'm calling them and calling them. When  I'm working my two (the pack) I like to pretend I'm a huntsman calling my hounds "come on boyssss try onnn on". But they weren't having it. Seeing my opportunity to be Brian plummer /huntsman /canine authority I explained to my mate that "one must always listen to your dog, trusting it's nose and what it's telling you". So I got the fork and helped the dog dig on. Amazingly, for once, i looked professional, or at least the old dog did, she was right and we bolted one that the old dog caught and the young dog pinched. Lying it down after shaking it the rat simply bent round and latched onto the pups nose. She didn't make the same mistake twice another shake saw the rat break to pieces. Never seen a dog break rats up as easy as she foes, she covers walls and anyone nearby with guts. 

Really impressed with both dogs today, I know it's only an odd rat but I reckon it's more impressive to see em really work and finally get a result than kill 50 trapped in a barn. The old dog was also seemingly marking rats under the concrete floor above the holes on the outside, she just wouldn't come away. Really happy with em both today, the old dog always earns her keep and the younger one is visibly learning and improving. 

Back home for a shower (the dogs) and a relax in front of the fire. 

IMG_20210212_134923.jpg

IMG_20210212_142258.jpg

IMG_20210212_142329_1.jpg

IMG_20210212_145328.jpg

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 3

Thats a great write up Dido, cheers.?

And your dead right, it don't matter if its one or one hundred, if your dogs work well and please you, then thats all that matters.

(You will have to give us the story of fog cake at some point though) ?

12 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Thats a great write up Dido, cheers.?

And your dead right, it don't matter if its one or one hundred, if your dogs work well and please you, then thats all that matters.

(You will have to give us the story of fog cake at some point though) ?

Meant to say dog cake! The Mrs bakes dog cakes, had some dog valentines day cake left over from her orders so they get a treat after doing any work ?

• Haha 1