Shotgun Explained

:icon_redface:

Hello Forum,

I have been in gun shops and I have seen several guns etc. etc. but I wonder could someone explain a shotgun to me. Most guns have all types of settings and chokes but I do not understand it all, I would not really be interested in trap shooting but mainly hunting which means distance and killing power is what is required.

Does any one know of a general purpose gun that you would use for:- A. Foxes B. Rabbits C. Crows and Magpies but would have a respectable kill distance. I know a chap has a Shadow Indy its a heavy gun but has great distance, now don't ask me about chokes etc. as I don't know and could'nt explain either.

Help

Knifebar :icon_redface:

Thanks Spiderpig,

At the moment I have a single barrell 12 bore Baikel 28 5/8 ", You load and shoot thats it. But da ya know its a great gun I can kill most game and vermin with it, problem is whilst ferretting I need a second barrell. I would'nt give up this Gun as dad gave it to me.

How much would I expect to pay for a new Shotgun.

Knifebar

Thanks Spiderpig,

At the moment I have a single barrell 12 bore Baikel 28 5/8 ", You load and shoot thats it. But da ya know its a great gun I can kill most game and vermin with it, problem is whilst ferretting I need a second barrell. I would'nt give up this Gun as dad gave it to me.

How much would I expect to pay for a new Shotgun.

Knifebar

How long is a piece of string ? I paid £50 for a second hand sbs and to me its fantastic but you could pay £££££££££££££

and it still does not "feel" as good as your single barrel.

Take you time and look around and try some out would be my advice.

Ok.... call me cynical but you obviously know something about shotguns from the question.

So...just because it's a trap gun, skeet gun, dtl etc it doesn't mean you cannot shoot game (and many do)

Game/Field guns tend to be a bit lighter and have a narrower rib, and are usually 28 or 30 inch barrel.

Botton line is, if the gun fits you, you feel comfortable with it then the majority of people can do most things pretty well with any shotgun.

Don't believe all the hype...I am guessing you are not interested in entering the Olympics.

Cheers

Deker

Edited by Deker
Ok.... call me cynical but you obviously know something about shotguns from the question.

So...just because it's a trap gun, skeet gun, dtl etc it doesn't mean you cannot shoot game (and many do)

Game/Field guns tend to be a bit lighter and have a narrower rib, and are usually 28 or 30 inch barrel.

Botton line is, if the gun fits you, you feel comfortable with it then the majority of people can do most things pretty well with any shotgun.

Don't believe all the hype...I am guessing you are not interested in entering the Olympics.

Cheers

Deker

That about says it all, get what is right for you :thumbs:

Well then that explains it, its not just a name on a gun. I shot with a Beretta at a gun shop once with a mate

and we both used the gun. Afterwards we were of the same opinion we did'nt like it, very dissappointed.

I must say before I buy a new shotgun I will use several different makes before I purchase.

The only thing is, it would need to be good as the Baikel I have, I can hit most things (and the gun is 50 yrs old).

Knifebar