hunting permission

i just got a .177 BSA Lightning and need hunting permission in Stoke-on-trent if anyone knowsd anywhere or any sites i could try please tell me as i got a gun and at the moment its doing nothing. want to go bunny bashing bad. :gunsmilie: anywhere in stoke-on-trent will do. as i live int he center of stoke-on-trent! thank you

Edited by reighn22

i just got a .177 BSA Lightning and need hunting permission in Stoke-on-trent if anyone knowsd anywhere or any sites i could try please tell me as i got a gun and at the moment its doing nothing. want to go bunny bashing bad. :gunsmilie: anywhere in stoke-on-trent will do. as i live int he center of stoke-on-trent! thank you

Can I respectfully sugest that if you are new to air guns to get some target practice in first. To go rabbit shooting you need to be able to so 1" groups at 35yds. I would recomend you find a local target club and get at least 500 pellets through your gun. :yes:

Happy shooting.

Can I respectfully sugest that if you are new to air guns to get some target practice in first. To go rabbit shooting you need to be able to so 1" groups at 35yds. I would recomend you find a local target club and get at least 500 pellets through your gun. :yes:

Happy shooting.

i have done target practise in my back yard with my gun and my mums/dads old tracker so i have got throo 2 packs of pallets so i have been trainin all i need is somewhere to go for when i am ready...

Edited by reighn22
Guest somnophore
not many from staffordshire on here is there? ill have to try sumwhere else.... but ill keep checkin here

You only have to 1" group at 35 yards if you are hunting at that range, if you can get downwind and ambush them at 15-20 yards you obv only need to be able to group 1" at that range, just dont take a shot you arnt sure you can hit the head on.

First tings first. You don't NEED to be able to get a 1 inch group at 35 yards to hunt rabbits. You do need to be fairly accurate though. The kill zone on a rabbit is bigger than 1 inch. More important is your field skills, the actual hunting of the rabbit. The abillity to stalk your prey and get closer than 35 yards.

Secondly, you wont get permission by coming on a hunting website, and asking for it with one of your first posts. When I first got back into fieldsports, I posted on what was the best way of going about getting my own permission, rather than just asking for it. I got some really helpfull replies, and these helped me to get my own permission. It seems a lot of people these days, come on here, and ask for permission straight away, you won't get any, belive me!

quote. First tings first. You don't NEED to be able to get a 1 inch group at 35 yards to hunt rabbits. You do need to be fairly accurate though. The kill zone on a rabbit is bigger than 1 inch. More important is your field skills, the actual hunting of the rabbit. The abillity to stalk your prey and get closer than 35 yards.

Secondly, you wont get permission by coming on a hunting website, and asking for it with one of your first posts. When I first got back into fieldsports, I posted on what was the best way of going about getting my own permission, rather than just asking for it. I got some really helpfull replies, and these helped me to get my own permission. It seems a lot of people these days, come on here, and ask for permission straight away, you won't get any, belive me!

good reply mate.

First tings first. You don't NEED to be able to get a 1 inch group at 35 yards to hunt rabbits. You do need to be fairly accurate though. The kill zone on a rabbit is bigger than 1 inch. More important is your field skills, the actual hunting of the rabbit. The abillity to stalk your prey and get closer than 35 yards.

Hi

Not like me to rush in :whistling: but I took the 1" group thing as a comment about the need to know, and be accurate with your gun before you hunt quarry, rather than necessarily a statement of fact about kill zones. Anyway..just the way I read it perhaps, but as I'm experienced and reighn22 obviously isn't perhaps expressing it in a slightly different way would have been better.

No arguement about your second para above though!

Cheers

Deker

hi sorry to post on here using my sons log in but i just want to say something.

my son posted on here to see if he could get permission to shoot vermin and quarry, he did it because i asked him to and now think it was a bad idea as he is getting a reply that he didn't want. all he wanted was somewhere to go, i am a gun owner as well and see that the posts left for him are all well and are the right things to have been said.

but firstly shooting rabbits in the feild is much harder than shooting at targets and most times you carn't get close thats why i wanted to take him out and show him the differance, i bet the first time anybody here went out never even saw a rabbit let alone shoot at one. secondly if your as good as you say and can group shots in a 1 inch target i think 35 yards is a little too close, i used to go hunting on lord staffords land around hanford and never shot at something unless i was sure of a kill sometimes that was 80 to 95 yards away because thats how the fields run, i think i have made my point.

thanks for reading this and if anyone has more advice for my son please leave it here and he and i will read it.

Kev, reighn22's Dad

reighn22's Dad

a few days ago i posted in the general talk section a facetious post about asking for land to be handed on a plate, the majority agreed with me & went along with the piss take & a scrout or two thought i was trying to be the comedian, which i wernt..

i cant believe people that put a post up asking for land to be handed over to them expect it, you have to earn it. i dont want to sound like a twat, but this is my opinion.

ill give you a bit of advice...

type in yell.com to get your local farmers in your area, talk to them & ask if they need any help with controlling any rabbit, vermin problems. let them know you have insurance, that youll show respect for their land, livestock & bounderies. let them know youre an experienced shooter & that your introducing your son into the sport. the worst they can say is no..

i have access to more land than i could wish for, & luckily all in a stones throw from each other. youll find that when you do finally get permission other plots will fall into hand.. other land owners neighbouring the land will see you out.

without going into too much detail, im visiting a new piece of land this weekend, the farmer saw me on my permission & wants me to do abit on his..

remember one thing though.. once you do get your plot, treat it like gold as its hard to get & easy to lose. but like i said earlier, you have to go & earn it.

good luck in your search.. :thumbs:

Kev, reighn22's Dad

and never shot at something unless i was sure of a kill sometimes that was 80 to 95 yards away

What were you using by way of calibre and power?

Good question. That couldn't have been an air rifle, could it?