Castration

Can I hear from folks who have experience of castrating a mature working dog please?

Got a spaniel that’s near 5 which I think is going to need it. Want to hear how it’s likely to affect him from working dog folk. Ideally there’ll be no effect, lol. Only people I know that have done it is hardly describe as dogmen so I really don’t know what to expect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Not personal experience but have heard that can change smell of dog which can bring unwanted dog attention. I'm likely to have my cocker X's nuts off , next year sometime , he's five . I've not got any concerns with him but he's not a serious dog. Is it medical requirement? Mines not going to be bred from and he's a dick around certain dogs and doesn't stop pissing on stuff, it might not change a thing but I've nothing to lose other than cost of op....have you had any quotes?

He's been pissing blood for two months or more now and I'm lead to believe it's prostrate. I'm working him quite regularly now and it's just made it worse tbh. A full bladder won't show any blood but when he's near empty it's like watery ketchup! And he feels the need to go all the time, even when totally dry. Poor bugger. Work just exacerbates it.

He's the best dog in the world with other dogs or people. I'd really rather not have to but it's not fair to the dog to continue like this. It'd be handy for kenneling him with a bitch but I'd rather deal with that inconvenience that chop a dog tbh. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, socks said:

That sounds like a an exercise induced Hematuria ... which if it is has nothing to do with his nuts mate. 

I've had him looked at by two vets mate and it started well before the season tbh.

I'll see another vet and suggest what you have said to be sure mate. Thanks

Edited by Born Hunter
1 minute ago, socks said:

It can happen from a trauma injury and not manifest itself until the dog starts working hard mate 

Hmmm I need to run this past a vet. But as I say mate it started earlier in the year before he was working at all. I went to the kennel one Sunday morning and there was blood all over, clots of it too. I honestly thought I'd had a kennel fight it was that bad. Got much better but never went away and now with regular work it's made it worse.

Cheers

40 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Hope all goes well , glad you sussed it out, keeps his balls too....

Found a farm vet. Sound lad about my age. Dogs out of surgery now and doing alright apparently. Hopefully smooth sailing from now on. I need to be a bit vigilant on what caused it because I can do without the bills and having a dog down bang in the season! Ha

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Found a farm vet. Sound lad about my age. Dogs out of surgery now and doing alright apparently. Hopefully smooth sailing from now on. I need to be a bit vigilant on what caused it because I can do without the bills and having a dog down bang in the season! Ha

Glad he kept his bollocks ?