17 hmr how windy

hello, we were out last night with the 17 hmr and it was blowing a gail.really bad. we were doin 20 to 60 yard shots and doin dead well didnt miss much at all..so is the reputation of this rifle being worthless in these conditions really justified??? we were using federal 17 grain bullits.... :gunsmilie:

I found the same at distances of up to about 80 yards its not too bad. Its when you start to take shots at 100 + yards when their is a differance, and they do tend to wonder a wee bit, i have found that a lot of people exagerate the effect the wind has on it, just because its that bit lighter than a .22 they suddenly decide its not worth havin, i had this argument with a keeper and hed never shot one, each to thier own, but i wont be changing mine. :thumbs:

Regards

Aaron

I find that wind does affect the impact point of the .17hmr. However it only gets realy bad after 120yrds. I find that in a 10-15mph crosswind, the bullet will drift as much as 6'' at 200yrds. The best way to combat this is to practice in difgferant conditions, and find out how much you need to aim of at given distances for diffeant wind speeds. That way you will always no where to aim and, its also a great feeling of acheivement when you can consistantly hit a small target, in varying conditions.

Try this website, gives a great range of ballistic data for different calibres.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics...earm=3&s1=1

Hope this helps. Cheers

Recently on the range a strong cross wind was moving the .17 hmr over about 3"'s .It must've been bad because the .223 was 1.5" off ,this was at 100yds

Had I used my anemnometer (which I did'nt take ) I'd have say it 'd be around 15-20mph .

If shooting in those conditions your really shooting for out and out pest control .If shooting for the pot with accurate head shots then forget it unless you can get really close .