Back out.....at last !.

Took the pup out for a walk this evening, I was chatting to Smithie as we walked and I noticed a squirrel Sat in a oak tree no more than 12 yards away so out came the catty ( Smithie was cut off , sorry pal) and as I shot at it the pup pulled on the lead and I totally missed ! ( the lead was looped around my left wrist). I unclipped the pup and went in search of the squirrel but couldn’t find it, I did however hit a pigeon at roughly 20 yards a little further on which was a bonus,  not a very good pic but when you are trying to take a pic and wrestle a pup any pic is better than non.

5E6C3F30-4C9C-4405-B7F9-C770452492A1.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Yes pal it dropped like a stone.

I rate the 10mm lead or 11mm steel ammo and seem to get a decent percentage of clean kills. I still think pigeons are one of the hardest quarry to take with the catty, sometimes they seem bulletproof and fly off even after a decent hit. I know everybody says goes for a head shot but in reality who can hit a pigeon cleanly on the bonce every time (at realistic hunting ranges and with the pressure of knowing it could fly off at any moment)....not me that's for sure.

• Like 2

I was shooting 11 mm steel and having a lot of success but ran out so made myself a good batch of 10mm lead , I must admit I do prefer 11 mm steel. As for hitting them in the head every time it just doesn’t happen. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve shot at a pigeons head and the bird has lifted and I’ve hit him in the lower neck/chest. I always where possible watch for a bird to drop if I’ve hit him in the high chest, furthest I’ve seen one drop was around 70 yards. I’m sure they fly on pure adrenaline.