Time to reflect

In March my wife did the same as most of the population did and that was to stay at home, I am retired and my wife is self employed so money is not overflowing but during this period we decided for quality of life that she would retire with immediate effect although she will not get state pension for another 18 months.  With this in mind we thought about selling our Beretta shotguns which are worth a few grand as we will not be clay shooting that much because of costs.

Trish made her mind up to sell her 692 custom skeet and go for something cheaper, a deal was done and after testing a Kofs gun which is superb value for money but they are quite light and a bit bumpy so that was discarded and an ATA Supersport was bought yesterday. If the rain stays away, she will be putting some lead through it this afternoon.  I have to say these are well balanced in the shoulder and at a grand, represent good value for money.

DSCF3638_zpssmdgut9c.jpg

DSCF3639_zpsyqke5qvr.jpg

DSCF3640_zpshg9gvdqd.jpg

For myself I am having trouble in my head parting with my Beretta DT10 which is without doubt the best gun I have ever had however using the same thoughts to release some cash but still have a decent gun, I am testing a Caesar Guerini Sumit 32'' sporter.  I know this is not the same quality as the DT10 nor is the stock as perfect in feel as the DT10 but the one aspect that I am a little concerned about is the grip as the radious is not as tight so the feel on the grip is just not as good a fit BUT these are things that I can modify with a bit of work.  The proof of the pudding is in the eating so I will find out this afternoon.  To be honest, had I not owned the DT and picked up the CG, I would have been happy but when you have something that is perfect, it is not so easy to replace it and of course I may not replace it yet, we will have to see.

DSCF3641_zpscgpwjilc.jpg

DSCF3644_zpsweixsq7w.jpg

DSCF3645_zpstgrvfwih.jpg

It would be very easy to just have kept both guns but we want a bit of breathing space and replacing the guns will still allow us to enjoy clay shooting and put some money back in the bank for that rainy day when it would be handy.  I am finding this to be a hard decision but will get there sooner or later.

Phil

• Like 1

Just an update,  the Caesar Guerini 32'' was a failure on testing and had me completely stumped why. I had issues with not looking directly down the rib and for sure there was not as much cast as on my DT10 however that was not the problem as I found out a little while later at home, it was the grip.  The DT10 has a tighter radius on the grip with a more pronounced palm swell which I was very used to and this makes you place your hand in exactly the same place every time, the CG however has a poor grip allowing the hand to be in different positions and in turn this caused a slight twist to happen but not every time. 

I asked a couple of friends to take a look and they also found the grip to be poor by today's standard.  The gun was returned and whilst there I had a look at at newer 30'' model of the same gun...........................completely different and to be honest exactly like my DT10 so that gun is in my cabinet this week and it will be coming with us down to John Bidwell's place, Highlodge on day this week for a full day of clay shooting which should prove to be a good test on DTL, skeet and sporting.

Phil

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems that the CG gun tested has been upgraded with far superior stock configuration in the grip.  After a few rounds of both DTL and sporting, I find the gun handles very much like my DT10 so depending how much dosh falls back into my pocket, I may very well go for the deal.  I feel one or two upgrades heading my way, new sub12 air rifle and a new koi pond and filter..........................................its beginning to feel a lot like christmas ?

Phil

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Phil,

Have either you or your good lady any experience with the 693 vittoria??

A little Ben.  My wife was having a good look at one and found it to be very comfortable and well designed for lady shooters.  A friend of ours has had one for about 7 months and loves it.  She has previously owned a few shotguns for clay shooting but this one stands out.  I have not shot it but it looks pretty good and had my wife been shooting as much as we used to, she would have had one in a flash.

Hope that helps.

Phil

• Like 1

Your a brave man Phil ,parting with an old friend ,i regret to this day selling my Rizzini E ,yes it wasnt a fortune but it fitted like kid leather gloves .

You shot what you aimed for and didnt need a book of excuses ,My 686 is ok but never has replaced  the Rizzini  in my affections ,still financial these days is overtaking many peoples lives due to lockdown economics.

Hope your C/G does this job and becomes as dear to You as your DT10 was atb 

• Like 1

Only time will tell but so far it has ticked all the boxes.  I was a little sad to see the DT10 go and if there was the slightest drop in handling, I would not have done the deal but the pension doesn't give great wads of cash on a regular basis so this has just given me a leg up with other things that I want to get sorted. and at the same time I have still a gun I really enjoy using.

Phil

• Like 1