Getting the pup out

Went out this evening with my mate stalking and decided to take my 10 month old pup out to see how he behaved. We settled into our usual spot watching the wood edge but the pup wouldnt settle wanting to play but I persevered with him. Eventually 2 bucks and a doe emerged , 1 buck and doe disappeared back into the wood leaving the other buck to disappear into a ditch unsighted. Eventually he came out about 100 yds away but started trotting across the field,  I had to shout at him 3 times before he stopped and my mate shot him , perfect lung shot ran 20 yards and dropped ? Let the pup off to find him which he did eventually,  he got the kidneys as a reward.

20200705_212534.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER
  • Like 12

Excellent.

I had intentions of taking my fell stalking when he was still a daft pup. He's completely wedded to the job he was bred for now and is a bit of a single minded c**t that I'd spend every second on top of if I tried to take him stalking so he can stay in the kennel where we can both relax! HA

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Excellent.

I had intentions of taking my fell stalking when he was still a daft pup. He's completely wedded to the job he was bred for now and is a bit of a single minded c**t that I'd spend every second on top of if I tried to take him stalking so he can stay in the kennel where we can both relax! HA

I know where you are coming from it would have been easier without him but he wasnt too bad for first time out. I wouldnt take him if I was out solo as wouldnt be productive. It was just experience for him and to see if he could find the deer, his nose was to the ground but he went in the opposite direction at first from where the deer had come from but once we got downwind he soon found it ?

• Like 3

I was up D&G on holiday near Newluce and a friend had a Belgium client shoot a red stag on dark and lost it. He marked the tree he shot it by.

My friend said he was going to the forest north of Newluce called pergertory to find it so I volunteered with my sprocker. Now Tia had never worked a deer warm or cold but as we got there in the dim morning light the heavens opened up and completely drenched us.

I kept urging Tia on and let her have a free run. Nothing but I had noticed her wanting to work into the wind so just as we were to give up I pushed her to go down wind. After stopping her a couple of times on the whistle and redirecting she got the message and disappeared for a few minutes.

The four of us were soaked and my friend was wanting to go. I asked for just another minute and just then against the howling wind and rain I heated a distant bark! She soon returned and I said "where is it Tia?". She went off on the same line and we followed.

She found the stag. She got a kidney for breakfast there and then. She slept with a grin that day and so did I.

Rest in peace my Tia.

Oh and the Belgian chap had shot it perfect. 7mmx64.....I thought to myself....get a 30/30 ?

• Like 5