Terminal performance...

8 hours ago, Deker said:

This goes back some years and is obviously American but still makes for an interesting read!

https://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

Really good read that Deker it’s made me think a lot about the WMR as most shots I take are not much over 100 yds as also like Mr Sausage my eyes are knackered I suffer from short sightedness it’s not good and can be frustrating and I use quite a high powered scope to compensate for my eyes being knackered, the summary at the end says it all really. 

After researching and writing this article, I have reached a conclusion about these two cartridges. I would favor the .22 WMR for shooting small game and varmints within 100 yards, and the .17 HMR if shots often run much beyond that distance.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

Really good read that Deker it’s made me think a lot about the WMR as most shots I take are not much over 100 yds as also like Mr Sausage my eyes are knackered I suffer from short sightedness it’s not good and can be frustrating and I use quite a high powered scope to compensate for my eyes being knackered, the summary at the end says it all really. 

After researching and writing this article, I have reached a conclusion about these two cartridges. I would favor the .22 WMR for shooting small game and varmints within 100 yards, and the .17 HMR if shots often run much beyond that distance.

I came to a conclusion years ago now.

I realised most my fox's were shot under 100yds years ago. 

I really enjoyed my shooting life with centerfires. Did lot's including deer but circumstances changed and I had to take more humble settings that also had more people walking on paths.

I started to be concerned about large nuggets flying around.

I shoot low volumes now so didn't need to reload. I also didn't want to pass on shooting small game because my rifle was to large.

Initially I was unimpressed with the HMR and the then ammo issue so I went with the WMR. To this day I have not looked back and certainly shot no less a number of fox on my places.

I know this can't relate to everyone but it does to me just now.

I am hoping to make the WMR my nightime rifle and the HMR my daytime rifle but we will see.

I have some federal WMR loaded with a Speer TNT hpoint. They are good performers and hopefully I can repeat these tests to see how they fair.

I do sometimes wish a bullet maker would load a soft lead copper washed hp bullet for WMR. In a 22 they expand lovely. In a WMR I think they would work just as good. CCI bullets are a heavy copper plating as opposed to a separate jacket but the lead seems quite hard going from memory.

SD.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I came to a conclusion years ago now.

I realised most my fox's were shot under 100yds years ago. 

I really enjoyed my shooting life with centerfires. Did lot's including deer but circumstances changed and I had to take more humble settings that also had more people walking on paths.

I started to be concerned about large nuggets flying around.

I shoot low volumes now so didn't need to reload. I also didn't want to pass on shooting small game because my rifle was to large.

Initially I was unimpressed with the HMR and the then ammo issue so I went with the WMR. To this day I have not looked back and certainly shot no less a number of fox on my places.

I know this can't relate to everyone but it does to me just now.

I am hoping to make the WMR my nightime rifle and the HMR my daytime rifle but we will see.

I have some federal WMR loaded with a Speer TNT hpoint. They are good performers and hopefully I can repeat these tests to see how they fair.

I do sometimes wish a bullet maker would load a soft lead copper washed hp bullet for WMR. In a 22 they expand lovely. In a WMR I think they would work just as good. CCI bullets are a heavy copper plating as opposed to a separate jacket but the lead seems quite hard going from memory.

SD.

Very honest and informative post and probably backs up what I am thinking about the land I shoot on doesn’t need a  centerfire although I’ve shot 223 on it, but like you say why would you need anything larger than HMR & WMR unless you was shooting deer.

Also just too add I have a public Footpath running right through the middle of my permission and the amount of times I’ve pulled people up for trespassing and they seem to think I’m the one in the wrong for being there but I suppose most of us suffer with similar issues.   

• Like 2