Well thats another mystery solved, the nest as i suspected was dead, it was a decent size and it filled 1/2 a bin bag. I removed it treated the beams gave the customer my invoice and got paid all in an hour, wish they were all that easy.

Ive just had a call from a new customer asking me to clear a wasp nest from a loft tomorrow.

Now i could be wrong but i thought the main time for wasp problems was between late march and november, also with the weather being as cold as its been i would have thought its far too early for wasps.

I am unsure what to expect but the customer is convinced that the nest is live, have any of the pest controllers on here come across wasps nests yet.

ATB

Just before Christmas had 2 calls for same thing .Customers had gone to get decorations down from loft+ found dopey wasps.Both nests were 99.9% dead but a few wasps were creeping out of the pupation cells and half a dozen were droning about the rafters.They were so sleepy I just put on gloves + squashed the nests into sacks(one nest filled two bin bags so I was quite relieved it was past its "best by" date!).Late developers?,affects of central heating?,pupation process slowed but not totally prevented due to temperature levels in the loft?... Dunno. I've come across it occasionally so when a customer phones I never give em the "No no madam far too late for active nests ",textbook speak.Nor do I rip em off by giving em a scare story and removing some dusty,long-dead nest. Out of interest is does anyone else know wasps as"Jaspers" or is it a Sussex thing?

They are known as jasper's in deepest Devon also... seems a pretty generic name for them.

:hmm: JASPERS,..yeah,..I recognise that Hampshire terminology... :thumbs:

You do get late nests,.and I've sometimes done them well into December :icon_eek:

But, the wasps in the loft scenario is almost certainly hibernating 'future' queens...

They often get disturbed and cluster around the light bulbs when folk decide to do some work in their roof space...

Such an occurrence can be a real pain as you have to explain the entire fecking 'life cycle' of dear Vespa to a householder who wrongly presumes that the nest you treated for them in August,.has suddenly 'come alive'.. :laugh::laugh:

AS an aside,...what other 'names' do folk remember from this 'darn sarf' area ?

I used to hear of both rats AND pheasants referred to as 'long tails',...and the various species of deer as 'chat',..we also called signing on as being 'on the chat',..confused ?,..well I was...probably still am.... :laugh::laugh:

All the best to the POMPEY contingent,...

Roll on the Summer,...Ficam Rules,....OK Ya.... :drink::drink:

Yes roll on the Ficam season again.......just a quicky.........i keep count of the number of wasp nests i treat each season

just wondered if anyone else did? i also record the 1st and last nests treated....the season is deffinately extending.

hello comanche

you said earlier that you seen these young wasps comming out of the pupation cell

did you notice the size of the actual cells/produces young queens .it would most certainly of been young que.

Yes T3.You're right .They were little Queens struggling to exit their cells.Cheers . As for "Jaspers"-seems it is a fairly common Southern name for jaspers ,er, I mean wasps. Dunno if DS is right about the Vespa/Jasper link but ,yeh,the Sussex dialect is pretty disrespectfull to "proper" English .Can be a bit like a code ;words + letters missin or ar*e- about with a bit of Gypsy cant thrown in! .... "Grammersow",great word.Sounds like an old matron pig .Have heard o Queen wasps called "sows".I 'm gonna have to find outwhat it means now! Cheers all.

GRAMMERSOW

CORNISH GOBBLEDEGOOK FOR WOODLOUSE OR MILLIPEDE TYPE .

JUST ASKED MY SISTER IN LAW SHES FROM THAT NECK OF THE WOODS. :drink: :drink: :drink:

:toast: Well done, it would have to be someone from Cornwall, I was in my 20's and had long moved from home before I learnt that a grammersow was a woodlouse.

GRAMMERSOW

CORNISH GOBBLEDEGOOK FOR WOODLOUSE OR MILLIPEDE TYPE .

JUST ASKED MY SISTER IN LAW SHES FROM THAT NECK OF THE WOODS. :drink: :drink: :drink:

:toast: Well done, it would have to be someone from Cornwall, I was in my 20's and had long moved from home before I learnt that a grammersow was a woodlouse.

Think I might 've cracked" JASPER" too,thanks to DS reminding me that we've always been. bit lazy with our pronunciation here in Sussex.How about "jab-spur"or"jab -spear";pretty good description of a peevish wasp . Said quickly with a rustic lilt soon becomes "Jasper"....Notice in all the old B movie Westerns a Jasper is a bit of a dodgy character. :hmm: