BARF Diet Tips and Supplements

Currently feeding my dog (springer) on DAF raw complete mixes, got different variety of meats, mince with the 10% (sometimes 15% but rarely) bone content and added liver (5%) and other organ meat (5%) to make blocks.

I also often add raw green tripe, chicken wings, drumsticks, raw eggs (including shells) and both raw fish like sardines, as well as tinned fish in oil to the dogs diet. I have recently also started adding some kibble to his diet as he was a bit inconsistent on raw only and he has been much better on this. Only give kibble added to the evening meal and add some tree bark powder to it.

When I fed him on kibble before he was awful, very skinny, loose shites all the time and they were just generally shite.  

I just want to make sure he is getting everything he needs, and has enough energy. One of the lads said look to add a supplement called Calci-D, as well as some vitamin supplements, fish oil (I already give raw fish or add salmon oil) and to add turmeric.

Any tips of supplements need to be added then lads? What about any veg etc? 

If you are feeding bone, which you are, Calcium supplements would be unnecessary. In fact, there is some evidence to suggest that too much calcium may be detrimental, and may cause kidney stones. Personally, the only supplements I feed are Dorwest Herbs Keepers Mix, but only a couple of times a week. And yes, as has already been said, nettles are good. You can dry the fresh leaves in a slow oven and crush once brittle; that way you can keep a stock in a jar all year round. Just be careful not to pick old nettles or those which might have been sprayed with herbicide. Just pick the tender top leaves.

1 hour ago, skycat said:

If you are feeding bone, which you are, Calcium supplements would be unnecessary. In fact, there is some evidence to suggest that too much calcium may be detrimental, and may cause kidney stones. Personally, the only supplements I feed are Dorwest Herbs Keepers Mix, but only a couple of times a week. And yes, as has already been said, nettles are good. You can dry the fresh leaves in a slow oven and crush once brittle; that way you can keep a stock in a jar all year round. Just be careful not to pick old nettles or those which might have been sprayed with herbicide. Just pick the tender top leaves.

I thought the raw bones, as well as egg shells add calcium... perhaps others feeding raw are giving meat only and not bones as well? 

Liver I believe is full of iron which is added to the food :) I will try and get some of that keepers mix, what is it and is it any good? 

1 hour ago, skycat said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019EAJ2NW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B019EAJ2NW&pd_rd_w=ENDhJ&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=NqfT9&pf_rd_r=QP3K59AT5AVV2RC07J4M&pd_rd_r=84e6fb18-4b44-46b2-bc31-afc1a8dbe97c&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExR0hLVVUzVjVaVU5ZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTY1MTE2TExFSFI3RENPSlJOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMjM1NjZSQ0hOSDIxOThGMFomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl 

Is this the same kinda stuff?