Goshawk tail guards

George h 87

What tail guards do people use on there goshawks my prefered method is tail plectrum or marshall crimps and dpc tail guard, also how do use keep birds while flying on raptor post, bow perch or ring perch I prefer raptor post only down side is they cant get to water.

20190917_161608.jpg

20190914_195129.jpg

20190826_151808.jpg

20190911_184853.jpg

20190911_185222.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the thing with me & tail guards....I generally don't like anything on the tail, although I have used tail bells, as you will see on the following pics, so I don't normally have a permanent way of attachment. I invariably just use a tail guard when feeding on a kill & use a large paper clip to hold it in place. I've always been very lucky & not had feather damage at home.

I've had good results with loop perches & ring perches. Also used a swing perch, while attended......& I'd defo try one again.

Here's something I tried some years back at a different house. It worked remarkably well for the duration I used it, but have to admit it wasn't for too long due to other circumstances. I would love to try it again someday...atb

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Accip74 said:

Here's the thing with me & tail guards....I generally don't like anything on the tail, although I have used tail bells, as you will see on the following pics, so I don't normally have a permanent way of attachment. I invariably just use a tail guard when feeding on a kill & use a large paper clip to hold it in place. I've always been very lucky & not had feather damage at home.

I've had good results with loop perches & ring perches. Also used a swing perch, while attended......& I'd defo try one again.

Here's something I tried some years back at a different house. It worked remarkably well for the duration I used it, but have to admit it wasn't for too long due to other circumstances. I would love to try it again someday...atb

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes I like the idea of that smart gos aswell ?

1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

Thanks for the info George/Accip both set ups look to work well looking at the condition of the birds. Did you make the guard yourself George or buy it in?

I bought it from ebay with the intention of copying it easy made by the looks of it 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/04/2020 at 07:36, George h 87 said:

What tail guards do people use on there goshawks my prefered method is tail plectrum or marshall crimps and dpc tail guard, also how do use keep birds while flying on raptor post, bow perch or ring perch I prefer raptor post only down side is they cant get to water.

20190917_161608.jpg

20190914_195129.jpg

The only time I use a tailguard on a Goshawk is when it is a fresh hawk out of the mews that is undergoing manning and training and then after that, when on a kill if the hawk mantles a lot or if it bounces about in its travel box.I would never put a guard on it, in its day to day routine.

My current Gos is kept on a rotating ring perch, where she can sit on the floor, get water etc, but I have also kept goshawks freelofted during the hunting season without any issues. I've also used a small trolley system with good results and I have also kept them on bow perches, but I much prefer the rotating ring perch.

Cheers

1 hour ago, david901 said:

The only time I use a tailguard on a Goshawk is when it is a fresh hawk out of the mews that is undergoing manning and training and then after that, when on a kill if the hawk mantles a lot or if it bounces about in its travel box.I would never put a guard on it, in its day to day routine.

My current Gos is kept on a rotating ring perch, where she can sit on the floor, get water etc, but I have also kept goshawks freelofted during the hunting season without any issues. I've also used a small trolley system with good results and I have also kept them on bow perches, but I much prefer the rotating ring perch.

Cheers

Hi David I don't suppose that you have any pics of the small trolley system? I'm just looking at doing one myself, always good to see other peoples set ups.

19 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

Hi David I don't suppose that you have any pics of the small trolley system? I'm just looking at doing one myself, always good to see other peoples set ups.

Sorry Moorman, but it has now been dismantled.

All I did was attach two wooden perches at either end of a 12 foot mews with a length of wire running between them and with a metal ring. The leash was tied to the ring allowing the Gos to fly between the two perches.

One end was under a roof, the other end open to the elements which meant the hawk could sit in the rain or shelter if it wanted. As it was within the mews, if a leash or ring broke then the hawk was still contained.

Here is a system an American used, which may be of interest.

Thanks for the reply David, I have seen that one before. Thats the type of thing that I was thinking about. As you have said it keeps them tethered while still allowing them the freedom of going outside for a bath or sitting inside out of the weather. The best of both worlds.

• Like 1
On 25/04/2020 at 14:43, Moorman 1 said:

Thanks for the reply David, I have seen that one before. Thats the type of thing that I was thinking about. As you have said it keeps them tethered while still allowing them the freedom of going outside for a bath or sitting inside out of the weather. The best of both worlds.

Just a thought Moorman, I have also used a loop perch to good effect for Goshawks whilst they are in their mews or weathering.

It seems to keep their feathers in good shape.

Also, I know some folk keep them on screen perches, but that is something I have no experience with.

David

9 hours ago, david901 said:

Just a thought Moorman, I have also used a loop perch to good effect for Goshawks whilst they are in their mews or weathering.

It seems to keep their feathers in good shape.

Also, I know some folk keep them on screen perches, but that is something I have no experience with.

David

Thanks again David, yes a friend of mine used a loop perch to good effect. I have just revamped my raptor post, they work well, but the only down side is that they can't get down to bathe etc. I bought a Gos with bad feather damage on tail and primary tips, she's moulting out well now. Just exploring different methods of tethering for when I reclaim her from the moult. I don't think that any one method is perfect for every bird, its trial and error. What works for one hawk may not work for another. I have been speaking to some of the US Gos men and they all swear by the Meng tail saver perch. It's strange as I have never seen it used in the UK or offered for sale at any of the furniture makers.

2 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Thanks again David, yes a friend of mine used a loop perch to good effect. I have just revamped my raptor post, they work well, but the only down side is that they can't get down to bathe etc. I bought a Gos with bad feather damage on tail and primary tips, she's moulting out well now. Just exploring different methods of tethering for when I reclaim her from the moult. I don't think that any one method is perfect for every bird, its trial and error. What works for one hawk may not work for another. I have been speaking to some of the US Gos men and they all swear by the Meng tail saver perch. It's strange as I have never seen it used in the UK or offered for sale at any of the furniture makers.

Hi Moorman

I've never used the Meng perch and it looks horrible to me LOL, but the guys who use them in USA like you say, seem to think they're great.

I read an article explaining their use and it did make sense to me.

I think you would have to get a metalworker to manufacture one for you. Pretty sure someone could provide the dimensions.

Out of curiosity, is your Gos a PR or an imprint.

Cheers