410 reloading

23 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

None. Long punch to decap. Hollow tube to reprime. Powder measure to scoop powder. Punch for cards. Tissue paper rolled for wadding. Roll crimp in the drill.  I have a steel ring to resize bad deformed cartridge heads.

Have you patterned your loads, how do they compare with shop bought stuff, 

4 hours ago, 3175darren said:

Have you patterned your loads, how do they compare with shop bought stuff, 

Not patterned then no but critters hate them!

Fox, rats, pigeons, crows, squizzles and pheasants.?

Edited by Sausagedog
9 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

That's another thing I never understood of the UK. 410 slugs are light and in a sighted gun would be very useful and reasonably safe. Perfectly capable for our smaller deer too.

The question has to be around there accuracy, a lot of American shooters seem cautious of there accuracy, it seems they do not like tight chokes, I think they are worth investigating, I am stuck, as in locked down, but I do intent to load some once I get the gear, I need to do it for my own piece of mind, I rang the gun shop up where I got my mossberg just before the lock down to ask about the steel shot scenario, as I had only bought it last yr brand new and it was full choked, obviously I will need to change that if we make in my view a stupid move to steel, especially with small bores, the choke move will sort both issues if I use slugs, but I can’t find anyone with any experience with 410 slugs as such,

On 16/04/2020 at 13:27, 3175darren said:

I am putting them on mine this next yr, just trying to find a gun with 1/2 choke or so

What valid reason are you going to give plod to get slug on ticket.?  I cannot envisage any reason that they will consider slug acceptable for any purpose.

1 hour ago, Meece said:

What valid reason are you going to give plod to get slug on ticket.?  I cannot envisage any reason that they will consider slug acceptable for any purpose.

Human despatch, destruction of vermin, why would they grant 12 gauge slug, if not 410 ?? 

13 hours ago, 3175darren said:

Human despatch, destruction of vermin, why would they grant 12 gauge slug, if not 410 ?? 

You might get it but don't get your hopes up.  Any cartridge of standard shot will have exactly the same effect as slug at humane dispatch distance.  You go and get a chunk of say 19mm ply board and shoot ( from an angle to avoid ricochet ) and fire at it from a distance that you might have to dispatch whatever you are contemplating dispatching and  see the effect.  Just for interest what are you intending  to dispatch ?

Ps.   You're  can always apply you might get the allowance.   No harm in asking. 

Edited by Meece
12 hours ago, Meece said:

You might get it but don't get your hopes up.  Any cartridge of standard shot will have exactly the same effect as slug at humane dispatch distance.  You go and get a chunk of say 19mm ply board and shoot ( from an angle to avoid ricochet ) and fire at it from a distance that you might have to dispatch whatever you are contemplating dispatching and  see the effect.  Just for interest what are you intending  to dispatch ?

Ps.   You're  can always apply you might get the allowance.   No harm in asking. 

I have dispatched animals for yr’s and have been asked this a fare few times, mostly road casualties you are right at close range a 410 is my preferred tool of choice, and nothing survives it, or a .22 rimfire is ample, the problem you have is when the animal has antlers, or you can’t get up close, when they are antlered it’s hard to cover there eyes, as in a jacket over it’s head, to quieten the animal, I know most are laid shocked up and to dispatch is easy, it’s not that I will choose to use a 410 slug as a first round of choice, but I believe it has its place, and to be frank I have seen people try and dispatch Deer with there stalking rifle, and it’s not a good thing to see, bloody dangerous up close in my opinion, I am going to ask and see, as you said there’s no harm in asking, but to me if they give people solid slug for 12 gauge, then they have no argument, 410 slug just gives you more options, the 410 to me is one of the most useful little guns out there, with the three cartridge sizes , 2 inch 2-1/2 and 3 inch shells, it’s something that interests me and until I have tried it, and seen for myself if it’s any good, it will roll around my head, so it will be right and work, or a total waste of time but I need to see for myself ,

The 410 slug is very useful but completely overlooked and undercatered gun wise in the UK.

A good reason/argument can be made for the light weight projectile of a 410 slug dispensing its energy very quickly thus aiding safety. Sufficient energy for close range humane destruction of vermin and humane dispatch.

Another could be that not a large inventory of firearms is desired.

After all that finding a gun that can be aimed suitable for slugs will be more limiting than the licencing department!

On 25/04/2020 at 20:56, Sausagedog said:

The 410 slug is very useful but completely overlooked and undercatered gun wise in the UK.

A good reason/argument can be made for the light weight projectile of a 410 slug dispensing its energy very quickly thus aiding safety. Sufficient energy for close range humane destruction of vermin and humane dispatch.

Another could be that not a large inventory of firearms is desired.

After all that finding a gun that can be aimed suitable for slugs will be more limiting than the licencing department!

I know what you mean about finding a gun, but a lot of 410 are now multichoke and it seems 1/2 choke is sufficient for the slug

• 5 months later...
On 12/04/2020 at 16:38, 3175darren said:

it looks very interesting, so what press do you use, 

On 14/04/2020 at 10:32, Sausagedog said:

None. Long punch to decap. Hollow tube to reprime. Powder measure to scoop powder. Punch for cards. Tissue paper rolled for wadding. Roll crimp in the drill.  I have a steel ring to resize bad deformed cartridge heads.

That harks back to the kit that Father and Grandfather used to use. Wood blocks with holes drilled in them,  A spoke from a push bike, measure made from a bit of tube blanked off. A homemade wad punch made from a bit of tube ground sharp for hacking wads out of a bit of thick felt and card. They did buy the powder and shot.  The paper cases were shot to disintegration and the kids followed the gentry round picking up the discarded cases under the guise of collecting cartridges. It would have been embarrassing going cap in hand to ask and would probably been told to bugger off. Times were hard and family had to be fed.  At one time they couldn't afford the shot so they got roofing lead and cut into squares.  Apparently it worked quite well.  There weren't reloaders like Mec or Spolar available.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 3