22 hornet or 222

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:icon_eek:DO NOT Get a f*cking Hornet!!! Cost of ammo will make ye eyes bleed!!!

I have one (<--- MUG!) I'm now looking to Down grade to a nice, light, does the job I need it for and Cheap As Chips To Run .22 Mag :yes:

If ye looking at foxes at longer ranges? Go for the .222, .223 or what ever else the experienced in such matters guys suggest. But note; There only seems to be One c*** on this entire damn forum who was stupid and ignorant enough to lumber himself with a Hornet. I Am that c*** :cry:

Please don't do as I did.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:icon_eek: Jesus! You lucky b*stards! I'm over here shelling out about 50p + a round! I forget the exact box price as I now make them last. But it's something like forty euro's for fifty?

Am I being ripped rotten???

ive been sellios & bellot from a local dealer fro 6 quid the stuff i was useing before that was 30 quid for 100 rounds think it was winchester but the stuff im useing now hasnt let me down so it does what i want

You do not say what you want to use it for but a quick response would be, go .223 and neither of those you mentioned.

.223 Bigger choice of guns/manufacturers

.223 Bigger choice of ammo

.223 Better choice of stockists

.223 Cheaper ammo than .222 or Hornet

.223 Can also be used for CWD & Muntjac (Hornet cannot)

.223 Will do anything the others can as well or better!

Probably a few other thing as well.

Cheers

Deker

PS

55g or 62g FMJ £14-£16 per 100

55g HP £18 per 100

(you will need to hunt around and maybe drive a bit, but I was quite happy to drive about 50 miles to buy the HP, it still saved me a fortune!)

Edited by Deker
Deker- what can you do with the .223 that i cant do with the .222?

Hi Foxdropper

Not a great deal but it tends to have a hint more grunt, a slightly wider choice of manufacturers, models and ammo; and the ammo is a lot cheaper! I also use mine a fair bit on the range as well as in the field and I get 55g/62g FMJ between £14-£16 per 100. That's why I went for the .223.

We still don't know what tommymc wants to do with it though!

So, although you would not notice much difference in the field the .223 edges the performance and then the running costs wins it for me!

Cheers

Deker

Edited by Deker

.222 wins for me. small amount of powder in the load if you are homeloading.good for 200 yards at roe in the head/ engine room, (mind i am in scotland) Cant fault the round heard in the old days from stalkers red hinds with the .222 . No kick, see what you hit through the scope.Lazer like!

ps not got a ticket now , but thats what i remember of the my rifle. I now Shoot my mates .243 but i like the .222 better.

cheers andy

Edited by teilky