Dear Forum,

Last year I watched magpies hunt song birds close to my house(rural). I watched them hunt them in packs of

between 4 and 14. Last season lots of evidence of small birds feathers, eggs and the remains of their nests I have found in the fields and close my hose as result of these birds. (Remember I watched Magpies do this).

I have started dispatching these birds in order to curb their antics but since I have dispatched two Magpies they have multiplied and they are numerous (excess of 13) around my house. They have become difficult to get near and even have spotted me hiding in undergrowth.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cull these birds in numbers as they are decimating the song bird population around my home and surrounding countryside?

Help

knifebar :angry:

if you have a ferret or get a loan of one and stake him out with a collar and apeice of string one magpie will spot him and start his call warnimg of a predator any magpies around will join him.There gaurd will be down as they will be 2 busy mobbing the ferret and you can pick them off quite easily.when you shoot ur first one let ferret have it .This will drive them wild bringing magpies from miles around.Just keep popping them off.I have shot hundreds this way

That's a new one on me, sounds like fun and I'm going to give it a go, thanks mate. :victory::thumbs:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Forum,

Last year I watched magpies hunt song birds close to my house(rural). I watched them hunt them in packs of

between 4 and 14. Last season lots of evidence of small birds feathers, eggs and the remains of their nests I have found in the fields and close my hose as result of these birds. (Remember I watched Magpies do this).

I have started dispatching these birds in order to curb their antics but since I have dispatched two Magpies they have multiplied and they are numerous (excess of 13) around my house. They have become difficult to get near and even have spotted me hiding in undergrowth.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cull these birds in numbers as they are decimating the song bird population around my home and surrounding countryside?

Help

knifebar :angry:

if you have a ferret or get a loan of one and stake him out with a collar and apeice of string one magpie will spot him and start his call warnimg of a predator any magpies around will join him.There gaurd will be down as they will be 2 busy mobbing the ferret and you can pick them off quite easily.when you shoot ur first one let ferret have it .This will drive them wild bringing magpies from miles around.Just keep popping them off.I have shot hundreds this way

Well,

Thats good, I will try that as there are loads of Magpies here, I can shoot them no problem if they get close.

Knifebar

Guest little_lloyd

Knifebar, seems you arew the most unluckiest person when it comes to magpie controll :laugh:

Just wait a few weeks before you get your larson out and baited with eggs,, they seem not to be as enticed to eggs right now as what they will be in a few weeks,, so paitence :thumbs: Ive had my larson out for about four weeks with nout,, Only a few blackbirds.

But last early summer i caught my first call birds in no more than a night,, It seems like mission impossible at the minute,, but im will be seing a few soon im sure ;)

• 1 month later...

Huray hurray :toast::toast:

:toast::toast::toast:

IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED

My larsen has finally yeilded MAGPIES !!!!! :drink::drink:

Got a Call Bird Today From a Very Kind Gentleman and he said it would work.

Within 3 hours I have a bird in each trap, despatached and set again.

Sorry I have not photo as I lost the Digital out fishing. (Wife went feckin mental)

I have to say I was very dejected by the larsen as previous call birds died or got eaten by feral cats.

But today was sucessful :toast::drink::drink:

Toast to the HUNTING COMMUNITY!!!! :drink::drink:

#

KNIFEBAR :toast::toast:

I have had my larsen out and baited since begining of March

Tally to date,

1 Carrion Crow

1 Dog Fox

1 Buzzard

1 Little Owl

2 Jays

2 Blackbirds

1 Rat

NO FECKING MAGGIES :wallbash:

The chap whom gave me the Call Bird said it was a FEMALE MAGPIE,

on which I presume got Magpies in. Keep trying but don't give up

This year I have

Shot 7 Magpies

Trapped 2 (today)

Currently making my 2nd Larsen which is better built than the 1st.

The fight goes on - no holding back

Knifebar :toast:

Good Stuff Knifebar,

they are top of my predator list on the shoot along with the squirrel, cant stand either of them.

Since 1st May 07 i have;

shot 64 Maggies,

trapped 13,

but so far this year my larsen has remained empty more than likely to be absence of call bird.

Get one soon i hope and then the fun starts :clapper:

ss06 :thumbs:

Guest little_lloyd

Well done Kinfebar,, See you where getting all worked up when it was still early,, But im glad your in full swing now.

Ive been trapping them for just about a month now,, and wont stop till mid summer if not later,, I took a few this morning and im back out in a min to see if the others that flew of when i arrvied earleir have dropped in. Magpies,, Carrion Crows,, Squirrels and other ground vermin is on my mind now for the spring and summer and wont stop untill im satisfied.

:drink: Heres to a good larson summer mate,, Keep them controlled.