Weihrauch moderator

Well I don’t know if anybody is interested, but I’ve just tried three different mods on the hw100, Atec Wave, LEI .17 and the HW. I couldn’t really tell any discernible difference, but as the wave is around 2 inches shorter than the HW, I think I’ll stick with that. Anyway, I decided to open up the HW mod and have a look inside. I was surprised at the cheapness of materials used as a baffle system on a mod that they charge fifty odd quid for (the wave is just over £30). A few bits of plastic tube, paper thin washers and some felt?. It works, but no wonder it says only for air guns on the moderator. The LEI is much smaller, and dedicated.17, also £130 odd quid, but just as quiet, which surprised me really. I didn’t expect it to work so well on an air rifle. Anybody tried other mods for comparison? Out of the three I tried, as an aftermarket purchase I’d recommend the Atec wave, excellent for the money, lightweight, and a fair bit shorter and quite a bit cheaper than the HW, which is supposed to be the airgun moderator that others are to be judged by?

• Like 1

The rfd I bought the Tikka from advised me that whilst they have stock of the Wave mods, they were going back as the build quality was not so good and some returned to them in bits as they were not up to the job. I obviously didn't buy it although this was .22lr and .17hmr where the issues had happened.  Sub 12 is of course a different matter but I can only repeat what I was advised with no actual experience of them.

Phil

• Like 1
11 hours ago, philpot said:

The rfd I bought the Tikka from advised me that whilst they have stock of the Wave mods, they were going back as the build quality was not so good and some returned to them in bits as they were not up to the job. I obviously didn't buy it although this was .22lr and .17hmr where the issues had happened.  Sub 12 is of course a different matter but I can only repeat what I was advised with no actual experience of them.

Phil

All I can say is, that I’ve used one on rimfire for quite a few years now, had a few thousand rounds through with no problems. Maybe the new one’s aren’t so good? I have noticed that the ones on sale now have a smaller diameter section at the rear where they screw onto the barrel. Mine doesn’t have that, so maybe a different design?

Edit to say, I can’t see them being any more flimsy inside than the HW? Even if they aren’t as good as they used to be? Obviously I don’t know this for a fact though, just think it’s unlikely. Looking at the HW, I think a rimfire would have its guts out in no time.

Edited by Rimfireboy!
On 28/12/2019 at 23:37, philpot said:

Phil

I’ve looked into this, apparently short barrelled hmr’s are the main culprits for this. I use an lei dedicated hmr mod on mine so no problems in that respect. The wave should be ok for air rifles though as they seem ok for .22rf.

• Like 1