Sign in to follow this  
Lloyd90

Encouraging spaniels to hit cover.

2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I remember taking my cocker along on a shoot day when I'd just got him at 10 month old. He looked very timid and lifeless and another spaniel man on there was a bit dubious if he'd make anything. I just said "how many spaniels do you know that have too little 'hunt' in them?". He's f***ing flying now.

It's really simple, keep putting game infront of it! You'll have too much dog in no time if ya not careful.

Let's hope so :) 

I agree with what everyone is saying. Someone told me once the last thing you want is for a springer to be a "busy fool", in other words tiring themselves out for nothing. My own springer will eat cover if there's any scent, if not he'll pass it. He has really high drive and never misses a bird if there's something in there.

like others said, bring him somewhere you know there's birds and see how he goes.

Use the wind to your advantage as well it makes a huge difference and just trust the dog. It would be daft if it ploughed cover just for the hell of it 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

An old boy told me years ago, if you want a dog to hunt cover don’t let it hunt out in the open as if it finds game out in the open it’ll just look there and not bother with cover. This has worked for me. Only let them hunt cover and if they come out and start hunting open stuff then walk them to heel. When they start finding on cover the penny will drop. 

On 26/12/2019 at 02:21, C.green said:

I hate to see a dog needlessly beating cover ive gave away very keen dogs for doing just that.

Clear your inbox