BIPOD OR BEAN BAG

BIPOD OR BAG?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which do people prefer to use?

• Bipod
    • Bag
    • None

:hmm: Hello good people!

I was wondering today while out shooting, which is the easyist and most accurate to shoot from. A BIPOD OR A BEAN BAG or similar support.

Personaly i use a harris bipod on my HMR and i dont use one on the air rifle. I find that genearaly when im shootin with the HMR im nearly always lying down or waiting to take a shot from a rest with the bipod deployed. I do find the bipod to be very useful in aiding accuracy. However when on the rare occasion that i find i have to take a shot standing or kneeling. I find the bipod adds to much wait to the front of the rifle to take an accurate long range shot. On the other hand when im out with the PCP, walking and stalking find a bipod adds unnessecary wait to the rfile. Yes , i no all or most bipods now come with a reasonably fast way of dettaching it, but sometimes if you have to faf around putting a bipod on to take a prone shot. Your quarry has more than likely to have f****d off. I usualy there for shoot using a good prone technique when using the pcp.

Anyway back to the point.

What does everyone prefer to use?

BIPOD OR BAG?

Cheers

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Tomy; I just voted for 'Bag', though I've never actually used a Bipod or a proper Bean Bag. I also virtually never fire from prone ' simply because I'd get saturated :icon_eek:

I utilise gates, fence posts and trees, as a rule. I have laid on a log pile and used my jacket as a bag and, all in all, I find I like to balance the rifle that bit further back than a 'pod would set for. This is probably because my minor body movements / breathing will throw my shot far more that barrel drift.

Kneeling in an armchair and firing off the back of that would probably be my personal choice then! :laugh:

Guest Macnas

I do most of my rifle shooting offhand, so I voted none. Like Ditch I'll use whatever rest is to hand but generally theres no time to reposition oneself when a chance of a shot comes along.

While target shooting, a bag is better in my opinion, indeed 2 bags is best. A bipod jumps around the place and is harder to move and nudge into place, whereas a bag really lends itself to it. A bipod tends to dicate your shooting position, where-as a bag lets you find the one that suits you.

Well I voted "none" and until the last few years just went for the shot and never thought about a rest of any description. As I've got older and a long time gone shoulder injury has started to show it's colours, I've used fence posts, rested the rifle on tree branches etc and being as I've always preferred heavier rifles, it isn't very often I'll take a shot from standing.

However, the latest addition to the collection came with a bipod and although the rifle is very light I've found the bipod very handy. As for a bean bag :icon_eek::laugh:

I voted none, I use trees, fence posts etc if they are there, but most of my shooting is done freehand, I just walk about carrying the gun across me, ready to fire, so its just a case of spot something, point and shoot, It seems to work fairly well for me, but I get sore arms and cant do this for long periods. Give me a motor window to shoot out of though and I will go all day or night :toast::gunsmilie:

Edited by SJM

My chioce is for the best quality bipod ,money can buy .The 3 stage harris suits me in both my stalking and lamping and ive had a few assorted quarry with it now !Second to that is the sticks but they are slower to use than the bipod .I stalk/lamp with them in the stretched position and take the prefered kneeling shot .Its just a matter of holding the legs and letting them in slowly should any other shot be necessary eg prone ,sitting .Cant see any benefit for my own shooting in carrying an editional bean bag .

Think it depends on the situation ye find yourself in, i always try to shoot prone if possible for the most accurate shot possible, failing that for whatever reason, be it been spotted by the quarry, i stay standing and shoot from the shoulder with the sling for support. it's all down to practise. then in what ever situtation you find yourself in you should be able to take the shot. i know of a fella who only shoots from the bi-pods when practising, and then in the field can't take the shot till he finds suitable ground to shoot from.....hence he looses most of the quarry due to faffing about...........NO BRAINER... :whistling:

Good question Tomy

I use a Harris for zeroing but due to a dodgy back can't get down quickly and quietly enough when out stalking.

I got a pair of Hazel sticks about 6 feet long, held them together butt ends up and then drilled through them with a 7mm wood drill about 9" from the top. I then joined them together with a leather 1/4" square thong.

Result is a very usefull pair of stalking sticks which look totally natural, don't glint in the sun, sound natural if they knock together and are very quick to deploy when a deer is seen.

Also, being tight. they cost me nothing to make!!

Apart from freehand shots at squirrells with the rimmie I always use the sticks when stalking through the woods.

Bye for now :bye: