Sign in to follow this  
Nicepix

Charity Shop Bargains

I bet some of the younger members of this forum think we are talking a foreign language 🙂. I think Nicepix,that G & Y used the same parts for several of their larger reels and simply fitted wide or narrow spools and different badges to market the same reel under different guises. Apparently the "One to have" is the late modelBig Piker which is just an Avon/Jecta type thing with a different sticker. 

I've seen those big alloy engineers' type reels and marvelled at their precision but never had an urge to use one. I just visualise me cocooned in a huge bird's-nest.

My Flick Em is my reel for general use.  The G&Y is loaded with 8lb braid and the old Nottingham drum is used for piking. It has a real(!!!!)history to it-almost worth risking a separate thread but I don't want to bore those with mo interest in vintage tackle.

You could be right about the Trudex being marketed as a Speedex or something similar. Youngs who made them ,very obligingly would custom badge the reels for other companies to sell as their own product

I think I too would be too scared to use a real classic Aerial . A while ago I was invited by a friend to accompany him on a visit to a workshop that makes bespoke centrepins. We were treated to tea,biscuits and the chance to handle some old reels so that my friend could pick out the features he would like on the reel he was having made.

One Aerial really took my fancy ; it had a strange organic feel to it. The proprietor saw my face light up  and said"If you like that ,have a look at this," and scuttled into a side room. When he returned he placed a  wood , copper and brass reel of the most exquisite making in my hand. He watched as I pinged the spool off ,played with the ratchet and generally fondled it in a way a Gentleman should probably not be seen fondling an inaminate object ...Then he grinned and casually mentioned that it was one of the first Aerials made. And was worth about ten grand..... Never have I handed anything back so quickly!

• Like 1

Screenshot_20190613-182519_Instagram.jpg.2228990b3cf0d1df37c8165729f2472d.jpg

some car boot finds I've had.tweed smock brand new with labels £15

baitcaster rod and multiplier loaded with spider wire braid £4

little whip brand new £5

fly feel £3

2 heavy duty Stanley padlocks £5

I do enjoy having a nose around for bargains 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Screenshot_20190613-182519_Instagram.jpg.2228990b3cf0d1df37c8165729f2472d.jpg

some car boot finds I've had.tweed smock brand new with labels £15

baitcaster rod and multiplier loaded with spider wire braid £4

little whip brand new £5

fly feel £3

2 heavy duty Stanley padlocks £5

I do enjoy having a nose around for bargains 👍

Good buys. Though I think if I came home from a boot sale and announced to the GF I had two padlocks and a whip .......

1 minute ago, comanche said:

Good buys. Though I think if I came home from a boot sale and announced to the GF I had two padlocks and a whip .......

😬😉🤣👍