info please

hi, i will be after another dog soon...has been suggested that i go for an ex racer..i would like a bitch for lamping rabbits in smallish fields..what do you think.??? do they break easily..what are they like to lamp with??? cheers woz

Do yourself a search of past threads on the subject of ex-racers,the subject has been done often enough.

As usuall I'll give you my opinion,but first a question.

1-What for you is the attraction of ex-racers as working dogs?

I can't see many advantages for having an ex-racer rather than a lurcher,the two that come to mind are,they are [mostly]free and they are aged to run[no waiting for them to age as you would if you bought a pup].

The best option is to buy yourself a well bred lurcher pup and train it up the way you want.If you get one some time soon it will be ready to start next season.

If you are working small fields something like a Whippet X would be ideal.

its not a cost thing at all...thought that there were so many greyhounds around and needing a home. was it worth having one to lamp rather than having a lurcher..people in the past have said they are dumb, brake easily and dont turn quickly enough.and was wondering if it was true....

its not a cost thing at all...thought that there were so many greyhounds around and needing a home. was it worth having one to lamp rather than having a lurcher..people in the past have said they are dumb, brake easily and dont turn quickly enough.and was wondering if it was true....

give it ago pal,and i bet after shes used to you, and used to the quick twist and turn

of the rabbit shel be picking them up in no time.

more than likely you will have to retreive your catch your self,

but you never know you might cop a gud,un.

good luck.

(90% of them run on sand tracks so be ready for bad feet after a session)

Ive never had one myself but no quite a few lads who have gone down this route before,,all the ones ive seen run on rabbit/hare are very very hard jawed and tend to run all over the field once they've caught what they were chasing and to be honest are an absolute nightmare. this may be down to the fact that they've been raced round a track most of there life chasing buy never catching ,, then when they do? :doh: :doh: ??..Just my opinion,,,you may find a good one..... ;)

Edited by bowers1986

i keep race ing greys and only ever had one who i went coursing with and he was great . used to bring them live to hand but one day he i slipped him on a hare and it got under a gate he was so fixed on it he ran right throw it and broke his neck and from then on iv never taken a grey coursing i wood tell you not to get one but at the end of the day its up to you franny

I had a great wee greyhound bitch, back in 92-93. She was bidable, good mouth and fast, too fast, as she eventually broke her neck, going down for the hare and tumbled.

They are a fast, quick lifed dogs to run :D

But, great fun, IF, you get the right one, as i have never had a gooden like her since and have had 6, since i had her, for the purpose of hunting. ;)

i guess its looking like a lurcher then really.dont want to be getting through loads of dogs to find the [bANNED TEXT] one.im to soft and before i know it i'll end up with loads of greyhounds.weve already got eleven horses because the mrs wont sell em after she's evented the dam things...thanks alot for all your good advise.. :thumbs: