.223 advice/recommendations

Hi,

im looking to buy a .223, ive been looking at a Howa or cz as they seem to be fairly priced but well made. My question is can anyone recommend a rifle that comes with a thumb hole stock in a similar price range. I know both brands I’ve mentioned are available with thumbhole has anyone got any experience of them? Also should I lean more towards buying new with the concern of barrel wear? 

Thanks 

16 hours ago, kelpieferreter said:

Hi,

im looking to buy a .223, ive been looking at a Howa or cz as they seem to be fairly priced but well made. My question is can anyone recommend a rifle that comes with a thumb hole stock in a similar price range. I know both brands I’ve mentioned are available with thumbhole has anyone got any experience of them? Also should I lean more towards buying new with the concern of barrel wear? 

Thanks 

Is this your first venture into rifles, do you have experience, do you like HEAVY rifles?

You have a very limited choice of any rifles if you want thumbhole!

Each to their own but the CZ only comes in the Varmint (Heavy) version in thumbhole as far as I'm aware.   NOT for me, why on earth do you want to lug around that lump, and at just over 2lb or about 1kg lighter, the 527 Synthetic is superb in .223, and very inexpensive as these things go.

Select a rifle and maybe look at thumbhole stocks is another option, but probably not a cheap way of doing it.

Good luck! :thumbs:

PS.  NEW will always be better as you know the history 100%, but that comes at a premium!

• Like 2

Not my first venture, just wondering what other people’s experience with thumbhole stocks are. As I wanted a change and wanted to look down that route. I have one on my hw100 (air rifle) and really enjoy shooting it but never used a rifle with same style stock. Regarding buying new, was asking for opinions because I know the .22-250 suffers more with barrel wear, haven’t had enough experience with a .223. 

Thanks for the reply

1 minute ago, kelpieferreter said:

Not my first venture, just wondering what other people’s experience with thumbhole stocks are. As I wanted a change and wanted to look down that route. I have one on my hw100 (air rifle) and really enjoy shooting it but never used a rifle with same style stock. Regarding buying new, was asking for opinions because I know the .22-250 suffers more with barrel wear, haven’t had enough experience with a .223. 

Thanks for the reply

22-250 is pretty fast and can wear quicker than many others.   .223 isn't particularly quick, but some home brews or lighter bullets can get up the speed!