Charnwood multi stove question

On 28/11/2018 at 15:04, DIDO.1 said:

This is what happens when you burn at low temps.

_20181128_150031.JPG

Imagine that doing a landslide down your chimney into your burner then into your living room.  I'll bet the owners burner was a propper b*****d to light with only a quarter of a flue to get it sucking. ?

On 27 November 2018 at 20:17, DIDO.1 said:

I burn mainly logs but I buy a few bags of smokeless fuel from the range. 

I don't know much about temps or different fuels but I'd burn it as hot as you can if it's dirty stuff, letting it smoulder is what tars your flue up. 

I burn logs hot then throw a scoop of smokeless on last thing, get it going and then turn all the vents down. It's still glowing in the morning and the front room is warm ish. My brother is chimney sweeping and he bollocks me for letting it smoulder.....fck it I'll just get him to sweep it more often. 

I know a farmer, his son in law is a window fitter, all he burns is cut up wooden frames, complete with years of paint. He's only ever set his chimney on fire twice in 20 years ?

Much the same as your mate my wood burner is a waste incinerator, I burn anything flamible kitchen units old timber from skips and scaffold boards all go through it, I clean the chimney myself twice a year and never get a problem, anyone interested I also use creosote logs which are an American thing you put in your fire, burn it and it removes the creosote from the flu, it's not an alternative to sweeping though some do use them for that but it turns all the tarry build up into a fine dust I normally chuck one in a day before sweeping and it does remove all the lumps of tar and creosote and just leaves a a small pile of sand like dust instead of the massive lumps I used to get ???

• Like 2