DOGS4US MANCHESTER

Im a young lad trying to start my own business. Ive been brought up around dogs, training, tracking, manwork, breeding whelping, the list goes on ...

Ive bred bought and sold dogs since i was 14 and for the record, that does not include working dogs. Im now looking into doing this as a business from licensed premesis. Puppy sales and dog breeding in general has and i presume always will be a taboo subject, people are very against puppy farms ( as am i ) and immediatley associate the sale of pups from shops or commercial premesis with puppy farms

It seems the only business for comparison is Dogs4US in manchester ( formaly Mayfield Kennels), obviously on a much larger scale but the basic business itself is not a million miles away from my intentions in 2008. Does anyone have any experience of this place, good bad impartial whatever? Or even the sale of pups from shops in general.

Yours

Ant

I agree. The concept and running of mayfield kennels its self is why i imagine my business to do well. Joe Bloggs generaly has no specification apart from maybe jus the breed of dog its self, which as you very rightly pointed out is a far cry from working dog men, hence the reason i have never tried to cater to this market. People are interested in the finished product as long as the pup is healthy and of breed standard they seem more than happy to 'shop' for a new dog.

Dogs4US is now a both a superstore offering boarding, grooming and whole sale facilies and is opening a second branch in Leeds in the new year.

Realisticaly i know i would be starting small and expanding over time but i believe if your set ups right and your running your business up front and honest people will not think twice about buying pups this way.

i think you would do well to visit their premises,the prices of the dogs are over the top as personally

i wouldn't pay that sort of money for them,but as a marketing 'preview' you could get some good ideas

from the way they operate,as long as i can remember they seem to be thriving although now trading

as dogs4us it is pretty much the same setup as Mayfield Kennels whom they traded as previously,but back then there was some scandal involved probably whilst trading as Mayfield Kennels that their

'pedigree pups' were indeed not bonafide pedigrees.Maybe others on here can remember more details,

good luck with your venture,

Higgins.

Cheers mate

As far as the price of dogs go's nowadays there are ALOT of over priced breeds even from individual breeders, i seen a litter of jack russells last week for £450. Ive sold a lot of cross breeds and hybrid breeds in the past and have often found the people interested in the cross have never shown an interest of have any desire to own either breed included in its parentage. Labradoodles being a classic example

I have been in the past but just out of interest, and was very impressed with what i saw. I've a lot more market research to do so will be paying them a visit in the new year. I do recall some literature on the net regarding the pedigree scandal, also speculation about involvement with puppy farms.

Edited by scouse moocher

Aye mate the general location is usualy Wales, Scotland and Ireland the shops use agents as third parties to collect and asess whats for retail. Ive also heard of shops in the south recruiting agents to scout for cheap litters of pups and buy them as pets from breeders, then pass on to their employer for re sale. But aslong as shops and outlets buy from puppy farms they will continue to churn them out. The way i look at it is reputation is paramount in any business and its something i hope to never be assosciated with for all the obvious reasons .

Welsh farmers where actualy given diversification grants when the farming industry hit a low. They were encouraged to go into dog breeding, with a much higher return and revenue they still maintained the 'crop' aspect of their work breeding in high numbers.

Tis true the interenet has had an incredible impact on the sale of dogs . . and everything else nowadays for that matter. The method of buying litters in is the only way to run it if its on a big scale. Breeding, as much as i love it and all thats involved takes time, risks involved are much higher and it can be alot more complicated. Most breeding establishments that provide puppies all year round will more often than not also hold a pet shop license with their council. The leagel requirement to be able to buy litters of puppies with the intention of re-selling them.

My business advisor has suggested liasing with the Princes Trust, im 19 so he believes they would be more than helpful.

My mate got bought a puppy from the place in Manchester at christmas...in good faith and with good intentions by his daughter, but he doesn't want it and they won't except it back! A Lahso Apso dog puppy, it's a bonny thing but not wanted unfortunately, and it cost a pretty penny too. :no:

They buy in from breeders as far as i am aware.

I think if if you sell a dog its the decent thing to offer help in the rehoming of it should the new owners circumstances ever change.

Cheers john, i was a bit dubious to be honest but Ive spoke to the liverpool rep for the princes trust and shes very positive about the whole thing. But at the end of the day it has to go before a panel to be sanctioned worthy of any financial backing. Even if its just business advice i get from them its a start.

:)